Our Love Will Be Remembered... (Ch 15)

OUR LOVE WILL BE REMEMBERED...

Chapter 15

I went back to the town I had stayed in when I had studied, the same town I had lived in when I was with Wendy.

Strangely, it was easier to think about her now. Her memories weren't so bitter. Some time away had helped me cope I guess.

So when I had gotten back into town, I had rented a new apartment that would be close from the school I had enrolled in to study paramedic, and further from where I had once been. I wasn't taking unnecessary chances, even though the risks of people thinking I had killed Wendy were highly slim. I wasn't stupid after all. I knew what I was doing.

I had always known what I was doing...

When I had visited my new apartment for the first time I had seen there was a fair a few blocks from it. And I wanted carefree moments. I wanted to not be serious for a second. So with that thought in mind I went to the fair.

There was one stand, the one with the gypsy that tells you your future... It wasn't the kind of stand I would have gone to usually, but she had called after me.

Gwen.

"You have a secret" she had yelled at me. I had no doubt she was speaking directly to me, even in the crowd. Gwen had that assurance, that presence, that strength in her.

The way she was looking at me, like she knew exactly who I was, but she didn't have frighten eyes, no she had the smug eyes of someone who knows. Someone who attains power with knowledge.

So I had walked to her empty stand, and stopped, looking down at her, with her crystal ball in front of her "Did it tell it to you?" I asked, motioning the sphere with my chin.

"You don't believe me?" she had asked, frowning at me, her fingers lightly trailing patterns on the crystal ball.

I had smiled at her "Would you blame me?"

She had shrugged "No, because I don't know it... for now." She had quickly added and then "But I will find it"

My smile had turned into a smirk and with a "Good luck with that" I had turned around and left her there.

The possibility of someone finding my deepest darkest secrets had never been in my plans, and it wasn't about to change, but I would have been lying to say that girl hadn't captivated me. And who was to say she wouldn't find out?

But I hadn't wanted to pursue her, because for one thing, that wasn't what I had wanted at the moment. I wanted a break from love and I wanted to do as my aunt was doing.

And I probably would have been able to, if Gwen hadn't dropped in front of my apartment the next day.

Every time I had asked her how she had found me, she had always answered her crystal ball had told her. To this day I still don't know. And I obviously never will...

The month before I started studying I spent it with Gwen. She had this strength in her but that carefreeness also, one that only marginal characters like her could have. She would start screaming things at the top of her lungs in the middle of the street, laughing at people shock expression. Her favorite activity was to condemn people and scream at them that the Lord knew what they were doing and that they would be punish or that she was casting a spell on their spirits. Really her imagination had no limits when it came to condemning souls.

Her love was a strange thing. All the time we spent together she kept repeating she would find my secret, she kept telling me she would know it, she would have a vision, she would understand me. That was her goal. To understand me.

And then one night, we were at the fair, but it was closed. No one knew we had snuck in. We were in the back stage of the tent of the guy who did the magic tricks.

That night there was something weird in her eyes. And all the while we had walked around the tent and played with the instruments, and every time we had kissed, I could just feel there was something wrong.

And finally when I was holding her in my hands at one point she had said it "I know your secret"

"You do?" I had asked her.

She had nodded and after kissing me deeply, languidly she had pressed her cheeks against mine, and her lips had whispered "You don't know how to love and it will destroy you"

Even now, when I remember her, when I remember the way she had said those words... for some reason we never had such intensity before, her and I, we never had this... unexplainable feeling. Her words had condemned me, like she had condemned so many people... And it felt forbidden and wrong and completely irresistible at the same time...

She had died that night... Luckily or unluckily for her, the magician had a guillotine.

She's the first person I told about my secret. In my defense she was dead. I was ripping her heart out of her chest when I told her corpse what my secret really was...