Our Love Will Be Remembered... (Ch 14)

OUR LOVE WILL BE REMEMBERED...

Chapter 14

After Lucie, I knew the vacations were over.

Leaving her dead body in the field had been hard. Letting her father drive the harvester over it and take the blame had even been harder. After all I like the old man and didn't want to make him suffer. He had been more a father to me than my own had been. And now he was blaming himself.

I never truly felt guilt before this. Because I was doing a favor to the girls and to our love. But I didn't think about the families. Didn't know the families. At least not as well as I had known Lucie's father.

This helped me see the seriousness of it all. There was no second guessing allowed. What I was doing was serious. I had a purpose for every girl I killed. And their deaths should not be taken lightly.

So with that thought in mind, I went back home, stopped to see my aunt first.

One year had passed since I had last seen her. She had put her plans to shelter kids in need into action and a young boy stayed at her house when I visited her.

It was nice to see her familiar face again.

I stayed there for a few days. The boy was a good kid but he was in a bad situation. My aunt had found him trying to steal food at the grocery store. She had offered to buy some for him. And then when he had said he didn't have anywhere to go she had offered him a warm place to stay, with his own bed. She had research for his family but there was only found some distant cousin that wasn't dead or in prison. She was now in the process of finding him a suitable family.

What she was doing wasn't exactly legal. She didn't have any authorization, she didn't have legal rights to the child, but what she was doing was good. She was helping him. And it was hard to find someone has kind as my aunt.

To think... I really had come a long way from almost despising her because of the dog...

"Last I check it wasn't a crime to help people" she kept repeating every time the boy would be in the room, and he would smile at her, a genuine grateful smile.

I admired her for doing this. She was bringing good. She was helping others. Something I wasn't doing. I was almost on a mission. A mission to collect loves if you will. Experience them. And I was taking lives.

My conscience never made me feel like what I was doing was wrong because in the long run it wasn't. It was noble.

But I was being selfish by not trying to do something for others, the way my aunt was.

I would have stayed longer with her, but her constant bringing up of my sister made me uneasy. "You have to go see her" she told me over and over again.

What was the point? It wasn't her anymore.

So after a few days I left.

I had to help people too. I thought about maybe taking a break from my loves. Keep my hearts in that bank safe and come back to them once I had done some good.

But as always, faith had other plans.