Our Love Will be Remembered... (Ch 31)

OUR LOVE WILL BE REMEMBERED...

Chapter 31

It is safe to say that after killing Coraline, I stayed away from the city for a while and hid at my aunt’s place. I couldn’t stay in a place where they talked about the woman I had killed all the time and I either way I wanted to be with Juliet.

But did Juliet want me to be with her?

I pondered that question for a while.

I liked teasing Juliet. It was the best way I had found to get any kind of information from her and I wanted, I needed, to know how she felt about me. Because if she didn’t love me, I wouldn’t have to kill her…

So one night, when everyone was asleep in the house I snuck in Juliet’s room and we argued for I don’t know how long about Winston and Julia in 1984.

But at one point, I couldn’t really help myself—a strand of her hair had been falling on over her face for a while—so I pushed it back in place and doing so, my hand stayed by the side of her head, fingers tangled in her hair, our gaze locked.

“Your aunt warned me about you, you know,” Juliet had whispered to me so softly.

“Oh yes? What did she say?” I couldn’t have helped inching closer to her.

“She told me I should be careful because you might steal my heart…”

“But I don’t steal hearts, my lady; I only take the ones that are given to me.” And just like that I had pressed my lips lightly to hers.

Her response had been immediate.

She had backed away from me, looking at me with an expression almost between shock and horror.

“I’m sorry I can’t... I just…” she had mumbled covering her lips with her hands.

“No, no, don’t worry, it’s alright. If you don’t have feelings for me I completely understand.” Please tell me you don’t love me, please tell me you don’t have the same feelings I have. Please don’t force me to kill you my Juliet… I willed those words to be the ones she would have told me…

“It’s not that Tristan… it’s not you… it’s me… I…” the way she had looked at me, I had wanted to die just then because of all the pain her gaze contained. “I can’t… I don’t like… he… my father, he…”

She couldn’t talk anymore. And she didn’t need to say more. I understood it. I knew what she was trying to say. He father hadn’t only been beating her up…

Anger boiled up in me, anger so strong, I had never experienced anything like it.

I held Juliet in my arms for the next hour while she cried silently, whispering soothing words that honestly held no true comfort, but for some reason it had seemed to make her feel better.

“I never told anyone before…” she had finally admitted when the crying was a little more under control.

I had seen the vulnerability in her gaze. She hadn’t like for me to know something like that about her…

“Do you want me to tell you something I never told anyone?”

“Yes…”

It was stupid, I shouldn’t have offered that. In that moment I knew what I should have told her. I should have told her I was a heartless murderer. But I couldn’t tell her that… And I didn’t want to tell her that, I wanted to tell her something I had on my conscience for longer…

“I have an older sister.” I had started to explain, my voice getting lower and lower. “She was my whole world when I was younger. She dated this guy. He was the love of her life. He proposed to her and everything. They got married even though they were very young. But they were madly in love. And then for some reason, god knows why, they slowly started to resent each other. My sister always told me that the day he had proposed to her had been the most perfect one of her life, that it had been the peak of their relationship. But from there, everything went down hill. He left her. My sister never got over it. She became suicidal; some people in our neighborhood used the term crazy. She can’t live on her own. She’s… disconnected from everything. She’s not my sister anymore. And all she keeps saying, over and over again is that it would have been better if he had killed her himself before… It’s hard to believe in eternal love after that.”

I hadn’t expected for Juliet to say anything, even less to be trying to comfort me at this point, but this was Juliet, my Juliet we were talking about. Of course she should have done something like this. “But that’s just one person Tristan, even if it happened to your sister, it doesn’t mean it has to happen to you too.”

“And not everyone will treat you like your father Juliet. As a matter of fact no one will ever treat you like he did, ever again, especially not him…”

I’ll make sure of it.