Chapter 24

Cam's POV

It had been a few days since Scarlett and Lizzie's little surprise at the bar. I still smile thinking about what happened.

I finally told Scarlett what was happening with my Father. My uncle was flying down today to share the results of the forensic audit and discuss our options.

I looked up from my laptop, just finishing payroll for the bar, when I saw my Uncle. For an 86 year old man, he was quite spry. He had a soft smile on his face as he looked at me.

"Uncle Alex, it's so good to see you." I said, as I embraced the older man.

"Cameron, lord your Poppa would be proud of the women you have become. Look at you, married, with children. I didn't think I would like to see the day."

I smiled at him, remembering my Poppa. He would have loved Scarlett.

"So, how bad was it?"

"I'm not gonna lie, it's not good, but it could be worse. It does appear to have started about 8 years ago, when Brandon Duggins was hired."

"Who hired him?"

"You're Father."

"Cam?" I heard from the door

"Hey baby." I said, walking to Scarlett and giving her a kiss. "Scarlett, this is my Grandfather's best friend, and my Uncle. Alexander Peterson. Uncle Alex, this is my beautiful wife, Scarlett Johansson-McKnight."

"Scarlett." He said, taking her hand and kissing her knuckles. "It is a pleasure to meet you."

Scarlett blushed, smiling at him. "The pleasure is all mine, Uncle Alex. Baby, the twins are down for a nap, as are Rose and Cosmo. I'm going to lay down for a bit, will you listen for the kids?"

"Of course baby," I said, kissing her head. "Sweet dreams my love."

"Cam, sit down, there are a few things you need to know about your father, some things your Grandfather kept from you, and why he gave you MCR, and not your Father. You see Cam, your father had a gambling problem before you were born, along with an addiction to pain pills and alcohol. Your father got into some trouble with a few bookies, and Henry paid them off. He got your Dad into rehab. It was a 60 day intensive inpatient program. You're Dad came home, he was a changed man. He became an attentive husband, and the no nonsense attorney you know today. You were born 11 months after your Dad came home." He paused to take a breath, before continuing. "Now, Brandon Duggins was hired by your father, straight out of Duke Law 8 years ago. Brandon Duggins is the son of Autumn and Dale Duggins."

"Wait? Mrs. Autumn? As in my Father's secretary?"

"Yes. Apparently, while doing some research for your Father, Brandon came across the sealed files regarding your Father's addiction issues. It appears that 9 years ago, Dale Duggins was arrested for embezzling funds from the company he worked for. Your Father handled the case for the company, not knowing that it was his secretary's husband. Apparently, Brandon has taken a page out of his Fathers playbook, and began funneling funds. When your Father found out, he was about to fire both of them, when they decided to blackmail him. You see Cameron, everyone thinks your Father is the head of MCR, they don't know about you."

I looked at my Uncle, not knowing what to say. "How do we know Dad isn't involved? How do we know Dad is still clean?"

"Because your Father still goes twice a week to meetings. He mentors and sponsors others. Unlike your Poppa, your Father will talk to me. I have kept a quiet eye on him since Henry passed."

"What about the bullshit he pulled with Cara? What about the problems he caused the Bowers?"

"Brandon met Cara at the office one day, and asked your Father about her. You're Dad knew Cara and Alyse were dating, and had no issue with it, until Brandon made it clear he would have Cara. When he realized Cara had no feelings for him, he took her out drinking, drugged her, and forced himself on her. When he found out she was pregnant, again, he blackmailed your father to make it go away."

My blood was boiling, my Father was supposed to protect us.

"I need to see my Father, Alex. Away from MCR, and away from my family. I will not let my Father destroy the company Poppi built, and I will not let Brandon and his mother get away with what they have done."

"He comes to my house every Wednesday for dinner and a game of chess. I want you to come back to North Carolina with me, and we will confront him."

"Thank you Alex, I will make the necessary arrangements. Let me show you to your room, so you can rest before dinner."

I showed my Uncle to the guest room, before checking on the kids and Scarlett. I grabbed the monitor, and walked to the kitchen, fixing myself a hot tea, I walked back to our room, and out onto our private deck. I sat watching the waves thinking about everything Alex had told me.

"Penny for your thoughts, my love?" Scarlett said, sliding onto my lap.

"Mmmm, nice nap, love?" I said, kissing her head.

"Very nice, but I missed you. Are the kids still asleep?" she asked.

Picking up the monitor, I showed her all of our sleeping babies.

"What did your Uncle tell you, baby. I can see it all over your face." she said, worried.

I proceeded to tell Scarlett everything, including my flying to North Carolina.

"Cam, this is horrible! I don't want you going alone though baby, take Lex with you. Please."

"I will, baby, I promise." I said, leaning to kiss her softly.

She leaned against me, almost nodding off again, when we heard the girls start to cry. She slid off my lap, grabbing my hand and pulling me behind her.

-------------------------------------

Scarlett's Pov

I don't like this at all. I don't want her going alone. She hasn't spoken to her Father in over 15 years. I just feel like there is something we are all missing.

"Lex, can we talk?" I said, quietly.

"Scarlett, what's wrong?" she asked.

"Lex, I've got a bad feeling about this meeting. I don't know what it is, I'm just not, it just doesn't feel right."

"Scar, listen to me. I've known Cam for a long time, and this is the first time I have met Alex. Cam is smarter than she looks, and she always has a Plan B. Trust me when I say, your wife is fixing to have a whole lot of fun. Always remember this, the man that built the company, raised and groomed her, not the man that thinks he runs the company."

"Thank you Lex, you managed to put my mind at ease. Take care of her for me," I said, hugging her.

"Anytime darlin, remember, we have a few days." she said, winking.

I still had a bad feeling, but I feel better. As I walked to our room, I saw Cam on the phone.

"Is everything in place? Excellent. Yes, He plans on flying home tomorrow afternoon. He expects me on Wednesday for dinner with Daddy, but Lex and I will arrive early Tuesday. The Board is aware, and they have everything. I will see you Tuesday, old friend."

"You really do have a Plan B, don't you." I asked.

My wife walked towards me, wrapping her arms around me and lifting me off the floor.

"Yes, love, I do." she said with a mischievous grin.

"Make sure you come back to me," I said, running my fingers through her shaggy hair.

"Always my love, now how about a nice hot bath, a glass of wine, and a massage?" she asked, kissing my neck.

"Mmmmhmmm, that sounds nice." I said, leaning my head back. She turned, carrying me to our master bath, closing the door behind her.

-------------------------------------

A/N: What is Cam Planning?? 

Word Count: 1300