32

I laid with Azrael, thinking about everything that happened. I was still highly skeptical of him, but he was the man I fell in love with. Sure, he had explained himself a little, but I still didn't have the full story. I knew under his cold exterior he was kind and loving, but I wondered if that was only towards me.

"Azrael," I started.

"Hm?"

"You didn't finish telling me your side of the story."

"What else do you want to know?"

"Why did the council go to you?"

"They didn't originally. They wanted my brother, but he was unavailable."

"Brother?"

"There are seven archangels so I have six brothers."

I nodded. I watched my fingers as I traced over the lines of his stomach. He had several scars which I found interesting because I would have assumed he was invincible.

"When I told you kings report directly to God, I was being serious. The council is not appointed by kings; it's appointed by God. For Charles and Erica to go against their council . . . The act was unforgivable."

"So why didn't God just take them out of power to avoid this entire situation?"

"He works in mysterious ways. Knowing my Father, He knew all of this would happen and He planned it."

"You really think He planned this? So many people suffered because of this."

"Everyone suffers, Anna. It's part of life."

"Yeah, but I mean really suffered. I would have completely written you off if you didn't force me to talk to you earlier."

"For once, you followed your heart and not your head."

"I guess, but what would have happened if you listened to me? I would have made the biggest mistake of my life."

"Being with Liam?"

I nodded.

"I wouldn't have allowed it. Granted, I had no idea this was going to be the outcome."

"You didn't think I would sleep with you?"

"Absolutely not. I know what I'm like and I know I haven't been the best example of an archangel for you."

"What do you mean what you're like?"

"I'm not blind, Anna. I know I can be cold and uncaring when it comes to you. I knew exactly what you meant when you said I loved the idea of you."

"You did?"

"Yes. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but I knew. There was no way for you to know how I felt about you."

"There wasn't," I admitted.

"I hope you know now though."

I nodded. "You can't ever lie to me again. Even if it's to protect me, you can't do it. I won't forgive you again."

He laced our fingers together and kissed the back of my hand.

"It won't happen again. I swear, Anna."

"Good. Now tell me how Pierce freed Liam."

"Well, Pierce is far more perceptive than I thought he would be. He knew almost immediately that something wasn't right. Eventually I learned I could trust him and explained the situation. He wanted to help as long as I freed Liam when the time was right."