Chapter Thirty-Five

EMORY'S POV

It's been nearly two days since I've left my room. I haven't eaten in two days, I haven't seen my father in two days, and I haven't seen Ansel or the girls in two days. I pushed them all away.

My phone has been inundated with calls from both my father and Ansel. The girls had taken a week off work and would come knocking on my door every few hours to eat. But I couldn't, I was just drained. I wasn't really mad by the whole situation; I was simply hurt. Reality was finally kicking in.

My father is dying, and I've been selfish by shutting him out, missing out on time I could have spent with him.

Today is a new day, and I needed to make amends. Everyone, including my father, Ansel, and the girls, deserved an apology. They were all attempting to be there for me, but I dismissed them.

I was still adamant about Ansel, if I'm being honest. Granted he was following my dads wishes, I was disappointed. I knew we'd work it out and talk about it, I was willing to forgive him.

I step into the shower to get rid of my sadness since I didn't want to think about anything anymore. I even went so far as to shave and wash my hair. I felt both normal and clean.

Yes, my chest felt heavy, but I'm hoping it will get better over time.

I turned off the water and wrapped myself in a towel to dry myself off. Following that, I entered my room and walked to my closet. I put on a pair of cargo khaki pants and a white crop top that came to a stop just above my belly button. I grabbed my nike air forces and placed them on my feet.

Once my outfit was done, I put on deodorant and perfume. I chose to let my curly hair down today due to the lack of energy. I finally got out of my room, where I'd been caged up for 48 hours, and grabbed both my purse and keys.

When I walked out the living room, I noticed my bestfriends Ava and Chloe. They both got off the couch and turned to face me. I approached them and drew them into a group hug.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to push you guys away," I spoke out first, my eyes filling up with tears.

I felt Ava shake her head. "Don't even try to apologize; you needed time, and we respected that."

Chloe nodded her head. "I agree; I just hope you're okay, Em; you really scared us." I could hear her sniffle.

I took a step back and smiled at them.

"You know, it'll take some time. My only family is leaving me, and I only have a few weeks with him." I sighed, battling tears to stay away.

"Blood or not, Emory, we are your family," Chloe spoke, and Ava nodded. I gave them both a thumbs up and smiled at them.

"I have two more amends to make, but I'll be home later," I told them, and they nodded.

"Please eat, Em!" Ava shouted, and I nodded as I closed the door behind me.

I wasn't very hungry, but I was aware that my body needed food to function properly. Before starting my car, I grabbed my phone and contacted Ansel, asking him to meet me at the hospital so we could talk. He texted me back and said he was on his way. A sad smile appeared on my face.

When I pulled into the hospital parking lot, I took a breather before stepping out of my car. As I entered the reception area, I noticed Ansel waiting for me in one of the chairs. I walked over to him and sat in the chair next to him. His eyes widened as he looked up.

I took a moment to take in his entire appearance. He wore sweatpants and a hoodie and had dark eye bags under his eyes. His beard had grown out more than usual, and his eyes were puffy as if he'd been crying. I felt a ping in my heart.