Chapter Eight

Ansel's POV

I've safely  returned to New York. Since it was a long flight, I am feeling jet lagged. But I don't let that stop my plans I have for today. I make it back to my place and take a shower to wash away the effects of the flight. It is 2.p.m., according to the clock. I take out my phone and text Emory asking if she is available.

Emory's POV

After a 12-hour shift the night before, I wake up feeling much more refreshed. I get out from my bed and stretch my stiff limbs. Looking at the clock, it reads 10 a.m and I notice it is still early. Making it into the bathroom, I plug in the drain and turn on the water, which fills up a bath for me. I strip nude and jump into the hot water once the water reaches a specific level.

This feels amazing.

I put on a song and start humming to it before I close my eyes. I open my eyes after some time and realize my fingers are getting wrinkly, so I unplug the drain and get out of the bath, grabbing a towel before heading into my room.

As I prepare for the day, I choose a simple attire. I take out an open tan, long sleeve sweater and high waisted jeans, putting on a pair of white nikes to finish the look. I enter the bathroom and brush through my hair deciding to leave it down. I quickly grab my phone, wallet, and keys and head out the door.

^ Emory's outfit

^ Emory's outfit

I pick up a 12-pack special from Dunkin' Donuts. I got some chocolate donuts with sprinkles, as well as some jelly and glaze donuts. After paying for the food, I place it in the passenger seat of my car and drove over to my father's house. For a long time, it's been just my dad and I. My dad, Nolan, is 46 years old and a single father.

My mother abandoned us when I was small child. I don't recall much about the incident or her, but she is someone I miss. Of course, as someone who grew up without a mother, I miss everything I didn't have. Growing up, I witnessed my friends' mothers playing with them, showing them affection, and giving them long loving hugs, and it was something I had never experienced before.

I arrive at my father's house and park in the driveway. My dad's house was a little one. The outside was a warm tan, with plants in the foreground. There were two bedrooms and two bathrooms in the house. I was practically in tears when I realized how many memories this place holds.

He has no idea I'll be here today, so it'll be a pleasant surprise for him. I collect the donuts and my purse, which contains all my belongings, and walk to the door.

"I'm coming!" My dad yells when I ring the doorbell.

After a few second, I'm greeted by my father. A tall young man with dark brown hair and a well-groomed gray beard. He was dressed in a flannel shirt tucked into his pants, white socks, and jeans. He was still so handsome.