Chapter Fourteen

Emory's POV

It's been over two days since I last saw Ansel, making it Monday. Whenever we have the opportunity, we text and FaceTime. However, we are both very busy, so it is difficult for us to do so. I worked every day this week, including the weekend, but I took the weekend off from Friday to Sunday because of my date with Ansel. Yes, it will dent my paycheck but I'm just out here living.

I'm taking a lunch break right now. I had Doordash deliver me food to the hospital. I'm currently having garlic bread with Cajun chicken pasta. It's really, really good. Everything tastes great together.

I get a FaceTime call from someone, and I know it's Ansel since he's the only one who actually FaceTimes me during my lunch break. The girls are always too preoccupied with their jobs to have time to FaceTime. I answer his call with a smile on my face.

He is already making me smile, I've got to run.

"How's it going, love? Are you eating? If that's the case, what are you eating?" He bombards me with questions. Damn, can I answer one question before he asks more? This time I mentally roll my eyes.

"My day is alright; it's just a little boring right now, and yes, I'm eating. I'm currently eating pasta. I recommend it." I tell him, as I turn my camera around to show him my half-eaten plate.

"I'm sure it's delicious; but you should eat more. I wouldn't want you to go hungry, hm?" He says, teasing me. He knows how much I enjoy food, so why would he dare to believe that I, Emory Miller, would throw away this precious dish?

"You know damn well I'm going to finish this." I say, sighing and shaking my head. "Enough about me, how's everything going at work? I know how stressful your job can get." I tell him, feeling bad for him. I'm sure if I were the CEO of several companies, I'd resign.

'You're just lazy Emory.' I think to myself.

"Work is going well, princess; I'm just dealing with a bunch of imbeciles." He says and I laugh. When it comes to his employees, this man only expects perfection. When I see him on Friday, I'm going to have to humble his ass.

Before my time is up, we continue to converse for a while longer. I throw away my trash and wash my hands before returning to my locker to put my phone in. I wash my hands once more before taking my clipboard and finishing the rest of my job for the day.

Ansel's POV

I couldn't seem to concentrate. Emory has completely taken over my thoughts. All I see when she enters into the room is her. You could put a million girls in the same room and I'd still stare at her.

She has the ability to make time stop when she is near me. My day is brightened by her smile. Her laugh is so beautiful that I could listen to it all day.

She is a true gem whom I intend to treasure.

I guess you could say that I'm a little nervous for this weekend. I want our first date to be perfect. After that, I'm confident that she'll like what I have planned.

I pick up the phone and make a call to someone who can help me with my date and offer guidance. I look through my contacts until I come across 'Ma.' Clicking the call button, I wait until she answers.

"How are you, my sweet boy?" She asks me. "I haven't heard from you in a long time." I can tell she's frowning when she answers the call.

"Yes, mama, it's been awhile, but I'm fine; all I need is your help." I tell her this because I want to get right to the point.

"So you phone me out of the blue, not to ask or care about my well-being, but because you need help? No, I'm not going to help you until you come over for dinner tonight." She raises her voice. I sigh and roll my eyes.