When the bell rang, Lia and I made our way to our first period class, each consumed in our own thoughts. I still needed to figure out what I was going to do with Joe, Matt and Dan, all in different successions. I was in a huge mess, one which needed to be resolved quickly. I still had homework, assignments and majors to get through. However, I was too distracted to make any real commitments on any of my works.

When lunch time came around, Matt found Lia and I sitting on the grass, the bruises now competing in different hues of purple and black. I cringed inwardly, thinking of the damages my brother has caused his best friend.

“Is it okay if I sit with my girlfriend today?” He asked, tone dropping slightly, an almost husky and seductive hint to it.

“Yeah sure, I was just going to find someone to talk to anyway.” Lia answered, shrugging as she picked up her bag from the ground, swinging it over her shoulder.

“You don’t have to go.” I quickly told her, blushing when she gave me a knowing look.

“Oh but I do.” She smirked, leaving Matt and I alone.

As soon as the building hid her retreating body, Matt sat down next to me, wrapping his arms around my waist. I didn’t know what to think about this. All I could feel was the heat radiating from his arm onto my waist, the thin fabric of my uniform the only thing in the way.

“Matt?” I questioned, stiffening away from his touch.

“Yeah?” He asked, a worried expression plastered onto his face.

“People are looking.” I looked at the girls and boys from various years eyeing the two of us -- some texting to their friends, spreading the new gossip --The others glaring my way.

“So what? Let them look.” With that, his worried expression turned into a slight smirk, his dark eyes telling me that he didn’t give a sh*t what he thought of them.

“I-I care. I don’t want to shove our relationship into Joe’s face. Who knows what these people are going to say to him now.” I was clearly worried, upset and feeling a little guilty.

Matt seemed to get what I was talking about, for his features softened a little. “I know. I don’t want to shove our relationship into Joe’s face either.” He admitted, gazing into the cloudy sky, a grim look making its way onto his face.

“Let’s go to the library or somewhere where it’s quiet.” I suggested, holding onto Matt’s hand lightly.

“Library sounds good.” He agreed, pushing himself up from the ground first, pulling me up afterwards.

**

Purposely laying my head on the desk in front of me, I tried to avoid all contact with Dan. However, his light and comical voice resonated throughout the class, either singing or lecturing. I knew it was time to let him know that he needed to leave Matt, Joe and I alone, especially when I felt him nearing my desk.

“Miss Rain, how can I help you today?” He asked lightly, sitting directly next to me, his leg touching mine. I quickly moved my leg to the right, immediately breaking contact. Hearing his light chuckle, I sat up in my seat, waiting for him to stop chuckling.

“You can start by putting some distance between us.” I responded seriously, much to Dan’s amusement.

“We both know you love my presence.” Scanning the class, I noticed most of everyone was busy working on their majors, leaving Dan and I alone.

“Listen Dan...” I whispered, begrudgingly moving closer so only he could hear me “...What you said to Joe was not cool. Because of it, we’re not talking.” I waited until his goofy smile faded before continuing. “As much as I have enjoyed getting to know you...” I smiled a little, remembering how nice he was when we went out on a date, and then coming to my aid when I desperately needed someone “...I’m officially with Matt now.”