Chapter 22 - Grapes and Gossip

After that night encounter, she didn't see Gyan again. When she asked Dona, she said he probably had gone to some short trip with his friends. She looked pretty casual about it, which meant it was normal for him to take trips often. But it really caught her attention when she didn't see Abhimanyu also. She saw Rishi once. But he came to meet Abhiraj and left without stopping by to say her a hello, even though she was in a close precinct. So, she made an assumption that he probably was in a rush and didn't notice her.

Priyasha was an amicable lady. Although she spent most of her time at office, at the end of the day, when she and her husband would return hand in hand, the Isha mansion literally warmed up with her presence. She'd decide the menus every day from the breakfast to the dinner. Even for Dev too. Shreya's effort has slightly reduced for that matter. Now she didn't have to think what she'd cook for Dev. All she did was oblige Priyasha's orders, and it was easier.

Ritu and Tiyasha stayed home most of the time until they really had to go outside. But they didn't spend a lot of time together except at the dining table.

But Shreya was more concerned for the scene at her own home. When she told her parents that she was going to Darjeeling with Abhimanyu and Dev, Trishna literally flipped out. She couldn't even accept the fact that Shreya was actually going out of district alone. Her father was no help either. The regular drama continued for several days until the day of departure. She'd reach home every day just to be emotionally tortured and asked about when was she quitting her job. At one point she got tired of repeating the same thing over and over again that she was not, and she was just doing her job. It wasn't a big deal.

"People relocate for their job all the time maa. Why are you being so dramatic about it?"

"What? I am being dramatic? How much do you know about this world, huh? This world is a place full of filth. Everyone takes advantage of the weak, and an unmarried girl like you--- you're nothing but an open invitation to spiteful people. How can you trust others with whom you haven't even spend a month? Huh? What if you fall prey to some bad men and they take away your virginity and kill or worse, send you to some human trafficking?"

Shreya huffed, "Maa, don't pull everything to your darkest fear. Not everything that's bad ends up there. And I'm not even going alone. My employer..." she couldn't finish.

"Your employer? Who knows him? You know him? That well? And what more, you'll be the only girl. Oh God, I can't even imagine this. Without any protection, you're going out of town. Alone. My heart has started paining only thinking about all the horrible consequences."

"And I have a legal contract maa. You can seek help if things actually go wrong."

"Don't talk like you want it to go wrong, you stupid girl. Owl cannot be called wise, because it has never seen sunlight. Don't act foolishly brave like you know everything."

And so, it went on for several days.

It neither was any positive when she disclosed the news to Naveen.

"No, you're joking. You're joking right?" Naveen asked in a disbelieving tone.

"No, I'm not."

"Wow! Your employers are pretty generous. I'm feeling jealous."

"Why would you feel jealous?"

"Why wouldn't I? I've been to various places but the Queen of hills. Wow... you're..."

"So, you're fine with it?"

He turned her towards him then brought his hand up to her face before tracing his finger across her cheeks. Her breathe caught in her throat as he tipped her chin up so that they could stare at each other without an excuse. "Just because you are asking for it," He placed his thumb over her lower lip and squeezed it toward the right, between his forefinger and thumb. An emphasized action--- but more stimulating than painful. "I guess you've got your answer," he whispered, and it erupted goosebumps all over her skin.