Chapter 20 - Medicine and Disinfectant

Her eyelids felt stuck together with glue. She stirred slightly and felt the pillow pressed against her right cheek and an agonizing pain at the back of her head. A sharp hiss left her mouth as she struggled to open her eyes.

A muffled noise rumbled up around her which she couldn't decipher and appeared to be closing in on her. Then it dawned on her.

She was under attack. At the restaurant.

When the thought crossed her mind, she gathered all her energy and forced open her eyes. Blinking several times, due to the brightness of the room, she could finally open her eyes. Her vision zoomed in and out of focus for a few seconds before she registered herself lying on her stomach.

The terrible pain at the back of her head was consistent.

Where the hell was she? What was going on?

Shreya struggled to sit up and suddenly two hands came up, holding and helping her in the process.

"There you go. You're absolutely alright." A female voice entered her ears before she could avert her gaze and see the owner. It was a nurse, dressed in white hospital uniform.

Once she settled on the bed carefully, her hand instinctively went up and touched the back of her head. A thick bandage was attached to her head.

The nurse said, "It's nothing serious. Just a minor injury. Good thing you got a cut on your scalp and it bled. Otherwise, you could've gotten internal damage. You'll be alright in a week."

She blinked and scrunched her brows together. "What happened?" She looked around the place and realized it was a general ward of a hospital. Several other injured patients were receiving first-aids.

"You were unconscious when taken here... approx. two hours ago. You hit your head on a chair and cut the skin of your scalp. You were already scared from the trauma received from the previous events, so when you fell you lost consciousness almost immediately. But nothing to worry. You're fine. However, you'll be required to give a statement to the police. That's all. I think I saw two of them outside. You can go, talk to them."

Shreya took in all of it. So, it definitely happened. The attack, the gunshots, that bloody arm, Naveen. She was with Naveen. Where was he?

"Who brought me here?"

"Oh, there were a few men who volunteered. Almost eight people were injured. Good thing none got killed. I heard they were able to catch one of three culprits."

"But why did they attack us?" It was frustrating. She didn't have such enemies who's try to kill her, and from what she remembered, all the people present there seemed pretty decent. "I don't understand..." She started but got interrupted immediately.

"Oh no-no. They came to shoot the infamous businessman present there at that time. Possibly, hired goons."

Oh!

"Have you seen my friend?" Naveen should be here.

"He has injured one of his arms. He's in the next ward."

She frowned at the information. Did Naveen get shot? This was not happening. Everything was just wrong. The whole situation was wrong. Why the hell did she even agree to come here?

"Oh, I- I don't know... what- he- he was with me at the restaurant."

"I understand. You're shocked. But I cannot tell you much. When the injured people were brought here, everyone turned to treat them immediately. He had bloody arms as he got shot. He was taken to the next ward. But don't worry. The bullet just happened to graze by his arm. It did not enter his body. He's doing alright."