Chapter 2 - Sunshine

It is that sometimes we cannot control things. Whatever that is meant to happen would happen and no one can stop it.

The first thing that doctor said after coming out of the operation theatre was addressed to the mother, whose name she had already heard Tiyasha, "You should have been extra careful with your autistic child."

Shreya faltered. She was already on her feet anxiously waiting for the recovery news of the kid. But when she heard the doctor, she blinked and stared at the group of people in awe.

The child was autistic and injured himself due to the carelessness of his guardians. She couldn't believe how irresponsible parents could be towards their specially-abled child!

Tiyasha wiped away her tears and regretted. "Yes, I should have been. I didn't know he'd do something like that. How is he now?"

"He is out of danger. However, he's still unconscious and has lost a lot of blood. I'd really want you to be present with him 24/7. This child cannot be left alone for even a minute. They are extra sensitive and I hope you already know that."

Tiyasha only nodded her head sadly.

The doctor continued, "I should have informed the police, but considering your family's reputation, I am not doing that."

It was Rishi who answered this time, "Thank you so much, Doctor."

"Autistic children like yours are prone to throw tantrums. So, you better take care of him cautiously," the doctor said before walking away hurriedly.

Shreya saw Ashwin coming out of the OT. He assisted the doctor in the operation. They exchanged a look while he mouthed 'wait' and went to the changing room.

Tiyasha and Rishi were still outside the operation theatre when Ashwin came and led Shreya towards the exit.

"The kid is autistic?" Shreya asked, somewhat between being concerned and relieved.

Ashwin nodded, "And belonged to a rich family."

"That's not what I asked," Shreya rebuked, "What happened to him? I mean how did he injure himself?"

"Rich people and their extensive lifestyle."

"Ashwin!"

"His mother, Tiyasha Chatterjee is a famous social activist. Most of the time she remains busy outside of her house. Meeting, procession... these are her daily schedule. For the same purpose, people often come to meet her in her house. As you already know, autistic kids don't like crowd and noises. So, that's what happened. Tiyasha Chatterjee had arranged for a members meet-up and they suddenly got more interested in loud pop music than their meeting issue. She got so immersed in discussion with her fellow members, that she didn't even realize her son had a panic attack. He hit his head repetitively on the floor and injured himself seriously."

"So, he was alone when that happened?"

Ashwin shrugged, "Unfortunately."

"And his father?"

"She's a single mother. No one knows who the father is."

Shreya raised her brows at the unexpected revelation. But then a thought crossed her mind. She caught a hold of Ashwin's hand and stopped him abruptly.

"Arey! What?"

She looked at him as her eyes twinkled, "Are you thinking what I am thinking?"

He scrunched together his eyebrows for a moment. Both of them exchanged a meaningful look until the realization crossed his face. "I'm not sure if I want to do it, now that the kid is in a critical situation."