Chapter 28: Playing Along

Cody calls out to you as he made his way into the basement where you were, sounding sickeningly sweet as he approached, being gentle with his words as he didn't want to startle you awake and have you injure yourself. Not that you were asleep, how could anyone sleep in this tiny cell in a cold, dark basement, he didn't even give you a blanket and the only reason you hadn't gotten sick was because of your healing factor. You had been at this house for almost two weeks and in the basement for nearly four days, he caught you trying to escape again and kept his promise, putting you in the cage for breaking the rules. He did bring you food though, nothing fancy but even so, you refused to eat it as Cody would only give it to you if you promised to be his "good girl" with you having to say it and let him feed you. Honestly, you'd rather starve than let that happen but you weren't sure how long you could hold out, you hadn't eaten in days and your healing factor could only do so much. You'd have to give in at some point if you wanted to survive, to see everyone you cared about again, to get the chance to see Loki and tell him how you truly felt. 

So unlike the past three days when Cody came downstairs with a little bit of food, asking if you were ready to be his good girl and basically ignored him but today, you decided to play along. You heard Cody ask the question and you moved out from your usual crouched and curled up position and got onto your knees, looking up at him you nodded your head, but he wanted you to say it. You looked down for a moment as you internally groan before gazing back up, forcing a smile and placing your hands on the bars you spoke, "I'm ready to be your good girl". Cody knelt down and pet your head, seemingly pleased but he warned you not to disobey again, and you nodded your head saying that you wouldn't try and run away again. Cody hummed to himself, thinking as he continued to pet you, "I could just cut off your legs to prevent you from leaving, but..." he began and you tensed up, about to beg him not to but he resumed talking, "with your healing factor they'd probably just grow back". Your eyes went wide and a tear dripped down your face as you asked, "you know about that?", you didn't even mean to say anything, but it slipped out and before you could somehow take back your words or change the subject Cody responded.  

He told you that he's been watching you for a while, he even followed you home sometimes, he's seen what you can do, and he went on about how kind you were to heal up all those animals comparing you to a fairytale princess. You were terrified as he told you about the different times he's watched you until it clicked, Cody didn't know about your other powers or the fact that you were a hero-in-training and you perked up a little as you thought about it. Loki always escorted you to the Triskelion, in fact, besides just walking you home, your boyfriend pretty much always teleported you places and Cody couldn't follow you that way. You had a chance now, as long as you could keep your other abilities on the down-low from Cody, you could figure out a way to contact Loki and the other Avengers. You'd have to work hard and focus, play your part and be patient, but now with a sort of plan in mind you felt so much better, you would get out and you would tell Loki that you loved him. That last part might have been extremely cheesy but you didn't care, he was one of the best things in your life and being with him just felt so right, you had it set in your head that you would be with him until the day you died. 

So despite being exhausted and starving, you were really happy now, with your fake smile becoming genuine as you thought about a way out but eventually, you snapped back to reality as Cody placed his hand on your head again. His hand drifted down to the side of your face and you tensed up as his one claw was very close to your eye when out of nowhere they retracted, which you had no idea he could do. Cody rubbed your cheek for a full minute before asking you to open your mouth and you internally groan again as you open your mouth praying to the Gods that he was only going to feed you actual food. He turned back around and you could see Cody grab a silver tray, the round kind with a lid, and he quickly reveals a bowl with chicken stew, and you were surprised as it still had steam coming off of it.