fifty three

THREE MONTHS LATER

[THIRD PERSON POV]

Frozen air slammed against Davina's aching body as her presence was thrown out into the unknown lands harsh, winter climates.

Her body pounded with excruciating pain, yet she forced herself to keep on going. The girl dragged her figure further and further away from the hell she had been forced to stay in for ninety one days, three months. That is, if the markings on her cell wall were accurate.

The lack of activity from the HYDRA base behind her assured the Penton girl that she had staged her escape perfectly. Everything was running smoothly.

"194...195...196..." Her ragged breathing spurted out the numbers she'd been counting since her escape.

The girl suddenly threw her body behind a tree, shaking hands brought up to her head as she counted down the last few seconds.

"209...210-"

Davina's entire body was thrown forwards, skull cracking against a hollow tree once she landed.

The brunette just managed to lift up her head to witness the flames dancing around her own personal hell. 

A sickening laugh escaped her swollen throat as the thick, ghostly smoke erupted all around her, causing her to choke on the air, spitting blood across the crisp white snow.

Forcing herself up for what seemed like the hundredth time that day, Davina travelled through the unknown, snowy forest.

She didn't know where she was going, all she knew was that she needed to get out of here. Davina knew there wouldn't be anyone coming after her after the bombing, surviving something as catastrophic as what she had just caused would be impossible. There would be no survivors.

As she raced through the woods, bare feet sinking into the snow, untamed brunette hair trailing in the wind. She couldn't help but think of her sisters burning corpse in the midst of all the flames.

She felt free. Not a hint of remorse piling onto her already clustered thoughts. 

Davina collapsed into the snow, exhaustion taking over her, the girls body finally giving up on itself, finally shutting down.

"no.. no.." She whispered to herself, again and again.

Her mind raced, fighting the sense of unconsciousness, threatening to take over completely. I've come this far, i'm not giving out from some bull-shit hypothermia.

A single tear of desperation spilled from her eye as she closed her eyes, all the strength she had built up over the span of three months drifting away. Everything she had fought fo, every second she spent battling fo her life in that godforsaken place, all drifting away, as if it never mattered at all. As if every time she'd lifted herself from her own pool of blood, forcing her body to carry on, didn't matter.

Davina Penton's last awakening thoughts were of the two people she loved most in this world.

Her baby, her child, Rebecca Penton Barnes. The human she never knew she could love so much. Her absolute muse in live, the baby she would die for in a heartbeat, without so much as blinking an eye. Rebecca was her pride and joy.

And Bucky... Her fairytale lover. He was her key, the light to her darkness. She found him in a time she didn't think she needed anyone but herself. Boy was she wrong.

He never failed to make her laugh, never failed to lift her heart whenever it threatened to crumble down.

She imagined Bucky, black suit coating her body, toddler gripping his hand.