fourteen

The eye-blinding screens around Davina's slumped form started to blur as her eyelids drooped gradually. She glanced over to her left to see Steve's head resting on the desk, soft snoring sounds escaping his exhausted body.

Well at least one of us is getting some sleep.

Steve and Davina hadn't left their office in 57 hours, she was running on 3 hours of sleep, 6 bathroom runs and 19 cups of coffee. Steve wasn't doing much better either.

Davina felt like she was studying for her exams again, like when your in the working mindset and can't bring yourself to stop.

She squinted her eyes and smacked the back of her healing hand against her cheek, desperate to keep herself from sleep.

Ever since she had started working to help Bucky, the girl had refused sleep. If she slept, it seemed like she was failing him, like she was giving up on helping Barnes. Well, that's what she told herself anyways.

She sipped at a cup of luke warm coffee as her eyes scanned over Bucky's brain pattern graphs, laid out across the screen before her drained eyes.

The most frustrating thing was that they looked... Normal? Everything about the soldiers brain looked the same as an average persons brain.

She let a deep sigh escape her lips and her eyes found the digital clock in the corner of the sceen.

10.27pm

Davina's mind pondered slightly, it wasn't too late.. Maybe Bucky's still awake.

She forced her frazzled legs up from the chair and put her coffee down on the table before she sauntered out of the room.

Bucky wasn't far away, Steve and Davina had taken over a room close by so they wouldn't have to travel far to get to him.

Davina stopped by a small hospital wing and grabbed some supplies for her research. The girl wasn't really aware of what she was doing, but she just needed something to go off, something to kick start her research.

She ignored the complaints from the few nurses as she gathered supplies to extract a portion of blood. If his brain didn't show anything unusual, perhaps his blood might.

Davina's clothes clung to her withered frame as she walked towards Bucky's cell. Wanda had given her a change of clothes once she found out the girl was going to be here for a while. Wanda Maximoff's loose black jeans and tight fitting long sleeved white shirt now occupied her body. Davina was thankful for the clothes, anything better than the grey tracksuit she had been made to wear before was a win.

Davina's feet made little sound as she walked down the brightly lit empty hallway. She had abandoned her shoes by the 10th hour of research, now the only thing covering her feet was a pair of pink socks. She had laughed when Wanda handed them to her along with a pair of black boots. The Maximoff girl had said that as long as she wore happy socks, she wouldn't loose her spirit.

God I love that girl.

Davina slowed as she entered the observation room connected to Bucky's cell. She had tried not to call it a cell, Steve referred to it as a room... It was a cell, there was no denying that.

She reached the window and Bucky's head snapped up, his expression settling once he saw it was her.

"Hello Barnes." She yawned. "Mind if I come inside?" Davina wasn't supposed to enter the cell, especially not alone. But the only security footage of Bucky went to their office, and she didn't think Steve would mind.

Bucky raised an eyebrow in response. "Won't you get in trouble?"

"Ah what are they going to do? Through me in a cell? Been there, done that, don't really care." She smirked.