fifty one

THIRD PERSON POV

"Is it bad that I feel more relieved over guilty?" Davina's voice cracked as she choked on her pressured, uncertain words. Their wandering, lost eyes followed the red SUV travelling further and further away from her protection. Her daughter in the backseat, a blond stranger in the drivers seat.

Natasha had reassured her that Yelena was the best possible option for them. She would keep her baby safe. Though the further that car went, the more uncertain Davina felt.

A large hand laced itself around her own, squeezing on her own hand ever so gently.

"No... It's better she's not here. Yelena will take care of her." Bucky's voice seemed strained, forced almost. As if his words were lies, only spoken as a weak attempt to comfort his doll. And perhaps comfort himself as well.

Davina gave his hand a light squeeze in return, finally blinking once the tint of Yelena's car disappeared through the thick trees.

The pair had never been away from their daughter, they'd never had any reason to, and never thought they would ever have a reason to separate. 

Even though they had only just parted ways, Davina couldn't help but feel a dull pain in her chest, as if they'd been apart for years.

Bucky pulled her frame in front of his, her back resting against his chest. The familiar soldier wrapped his strong arms around her waist, drumming his fingers against her skin in a way he'd discovered to be a key to her relaxation.

She sighed in relief, eyes latched onto the trees the SUV had disappeared through mere moments ago, the pain in her chest growing my the second.

"There's a storm coming.." She murmured, more to herself than to Bucky, eyes still latched onto the trees.

Davina felt his head strain to look up into the perfectly blue skies above them. He frowned slightly, unsure what to make of his lovers incorrect statement.

She sensed confusion laced in his voice as the man spoke slowly. "The skies are clear doll.. Not a single cloud in sight."

Davina swallowed down a lump in her throat, carefully deciding on her next words, unsure what he'd made of them. "Not that kind of storm Bucky." The brunette whispered, an edge on her voice as she spoke firmly.

Bucky's body stilled, he was silent for a moment before speaking, though his voice sounded more like he was reassuring himself, and not her. "We don't know if their coming Davina-"

"Their coming." She cut him off.

The man fell silent once again, analysing his lover with a wary glance. He could tell she was on edge, the threat from HYDRA, moving back to the compound, saying goodbye to their daughter. It was taking a toll on her, it was obvious.

He took a deep breath, running his hands up and down her sides. "This might all work out for the better.."

"You know that isn't true." Her voice cracked as she pulled away from the warm comfort of his body and turned her figure around to face him whilst she talked, a stern look in her eye.

He looked down at her, concern filling his gaze. Bucky reached out his flesh hand to brush a strand of hair behind her ear. Though she caught his wrist midair, a solemn expression worn across her face. 

"We don't have time for this. I don't have time for this." She let go of his wrist, allowing it to fall limply by his side. "I'm not as powerful as I once was, i'm not the same Davina they all remember. I'd like to be before HYDRA comes to collect their lab rat."

The Penton girl spat the last words, causing Bucky to flinch. Lab Rat. That's they way they saw her, that's the way they would always see her. And Bucky was afraid that was how she was beginning to see herself.

He gazed at her pitifully, whilst her gaze remained fixed, her eyes seemed to be calling out for help, yet her expression screamed at him to leave her alone. 

"Steve wanted to see you last I heard, you better go find him." She spoke dully.

Bucky opened his mouth to reply, but the look displayed across Davina's features warned him that now was not the time. He turned away from his lover, turning away from the expression he'd never seen before.

Davina stood stiffly as he walked slowly into the compound, only once he was out of sight did she notice the small damp line escaping her eye. 

The girl brushed it away solemnly, making her way to the training room in complete and utter silence, not allowing a single thought or doubt to enter her mind, stopping her from what needed to be done.

The world seemed to fade around her as she walked, as if nothing else around her mattered, only what was going on inside of her head. She felt as if she was walking on clouds, though at any given moment she could fall from the sky, into the hell she had forced herself to call home.

The pounding from inside her skull seemed to scream and dance around her thoughts, desperate to break free from the prison Davina had locked up inside her mind.

The wall blended in with the floor under her fixed gaze. Nothing seemed to matter anymore. Nothing at all.

HYDRA was coming for her... And they didn't stand a chance. Davina Penton was going to be taken, she was going to die.

And she wasn't afraid.

Word Count : 934