six

"Bucky!"

"Bucky get up!"

Davina shook the exhausted man wildly in desperate need of his consciousness. 

Bucky's eyes snapped open, his pupils we dilated and electric red veins slithered across his eyes.

Davina stumbled backwards in shock as Bucky's left hand grabbed her wrist with brutal force.

She looked down at her wrist to see silver fingers curled roughly around her peeling flesh.

"Bucky get off what the fuck!" Davina squirmed and thrashed angrily against his unbeatable grip. 

His eyes seemed lost, almost fighting against another self.

It wasn't until Davina smacked the back of her hand across his face, leaving a burned mark that Bucky finally untangled his grip.

Davina watched in terror and confusion as his eyes relaxed and the red tendrils started to fade back to white.

She cradled her raw wrist in her other arm and scooted a step backwards.

Davina's mouth opened and closed slightly before finishing in a tight line.

"D-Davina i'm so sorry, please I can explain." Bucky's voice trembled as his shaky body rose from the couch to properly face the girl.

"Save is Bucky, I already know everything." Davina's words seemed dull, expression missing from them.

"You do?" Bucky's head tilted slightly, awaiting further confirmation.

"What you think the Winter Soldier could hitch a ride with me and I wouldn't find out? I'm not as clueless as I look." Davina fought the small smile that was fighting to rise across her face.

Bucky stammered over inaudible words  before Davina spoke again.

"A few of your friends paid a visit last night, tall blond guy in a red, blue and white halloween costume. Another guy in a flying bird costume. Ring any bells?" 

Davina's arms crossed over her chest.

"You-you didn't tell him-" Bucky seemed to only be able to form a few words.

"No I didn't tell them Bucky." 

Bucky released a relieved sigh, however before he could show his gratitude, Davina spoke again.

"But why didn't you tell me Bucky? I deserved to know before you started tagging along on my little hiking trip."

"I know Vina, i'm really sorry. I just- you're the only person who hasn't looked at me like i'm a monster in a really long time. I didn't want to have that taken away from me." Bucky spoke slowly, deciding his words carefully before he spoke them aloud.

"Well that is not your decision to make Buck." Davina lowered her arms to her sides and furrowed her eyebrows.

"If you-" 

"Don't finish that James, I'm not leaving." Davina smiled softly.

Bucky's head snapped up at his first name. "James?" He laughed softly. "Man it's been a while since someones called me that."

Bucky's eyes unfocused, seeming to be deep in a wondrous train of thought. Perhaps memories from the 40s.

Davina cleared her throat and Bucky's eyes snapped back towards her.

"You going to tell me why Captain America and The Falcon are on our tail?"

Bucky sighed as his metal hand went through his tangled hair. It was getting really long, up to his shoulders now.