Please, Don't Let Go | July 18, 1913

I'm sorry, this is going to be angsty.

And ... this is the first of a few angst flashback chapters.

On the bright side ... there's ... hmm ....... oh right! The bright side! Yeah! That's a thing that exists in the chapter! Let's see ... there's ... Blush?

So ... in whatever way you can...

Enjoy! :)

-------------------------

Warning: very mildly graphic at one point, and death :(

It's been fourteen years since the newsies' strike today. Kid Blink was only eighteen years old then. He's nearly twice the age of what he was when he led the strike.

Well, led the strike for the first week.

But for those first few golden days, he was the face of the strike, and everyone loved and respected him.

Ever since May 2, 1913, he's had a lot of time to contemplate everything. His early life. Everything that happened during the strike. Everything that's happened since.

He thinks about his parents, immigrants from Italy. How his father is gone now, just like one of his younger sisters. He remembers what it was like being a young kid, living with all his brothers and sisters, still innocent to what a cruel world they live in.

He wouldn't trade his time as a newsie for anything. Those were some of the best days of his life. Before he *betrayed them*, they were all like a family. And, once they started trusting him again, he got his family back. It wasn't always easy, but it was a fine life, carrying the banner through it all.

And then there's Mush. Always Mush. Kid Blink doesn't care about the world he lives in. He loves Mush. Only Mush.

Kid Blink's done a lot of things in his adult life. He's been employed as a coach driver. He's been a guide in Chinatown with Chuck Connors. He's been arrested more than once ... probably not the best thing he's ever done.

But now, his time to think about it all, and his time in general, is running out.

On May 2nd, 1913, that's when The New York Sun reported in their paper that he was sick with tuberculosis. That was two and a half months ago.

And now, today is the day he turns 32 year old.

And he's spending it in a hospital bed.

And somehow he just knows that this is his last day.

It will be a full circle.

Suddenly he coughs.

Yeah, I'm not getting any better.

At least he's not coughing blood.

Well. In this exact moment he's not. That doesn't mean that he hasn't before and he won't in the future.

Whatever future he has left, that is.

Suddenly, Mush comes into the room, face somber. He's been here every day. He'd live here with Kid Blink if he could, but the nurses won't let him. So instead, he visits him in every waking moment that he can. He must have just finished up eating a meal--Kid Blink has no idea what time of day it is, and if Mush was eating breakfast or lunch. What matters is that he's here now.

Kid Blink smiles weakly for him. He's still just so, so tired. "Hey."

Mush gulps. "Hey."

So he sees that Kid Blink isn't getting better too.