And The World Will Know | July 18, 1899

Oooooo flashback chapter!

Hopefully this one will be written better.

I was going to publish this chapter with the last one...but it was 2:30 am, and for once I was like nah, sleep's more important.

Again, trying for historical accuracy without it being 100% accurate...I'll explain all of my choices in the end...

This is going to be fun.

Enjoy! :)

---------------------------------

"Pulitzer and Hearst, they think we're nothing. Are we nothing?" Kid Blink asks everyone.

"NO!" is the enthusiastic reply.

"Pulitzer and Hearst, they think they got us, do they got us?"

"NO!"

"Even though we ain't got hats or badges we're a union, just by saying so!"

"AND THE WORLD WILL KNOW!"

This is the start of something. Something big.

"We'll do what we gotta do until we break the will of mighty Bill and Joe..."

"AND THE WORLD WILL KNOW!" they repeat, excited.

Sometimes, repetition is...well, repetitive. Sometimes, like this, it adds emphasis and power.

And with that last sentence, they turn around to face the building, and add, "And the Journal too. Mr. Hearst and Pulitzer have we got news for you."

Now the World will hear what we got to say.

We've been hawking headlines but we're makin' 'em today.

"And our ranks will grow..." they murmur.

"And we'll kick their rear!" Crutchy adds.

"And the World will know that we've been here!" they all exclaim.

They're excited now.

"When the circulation bell starts ringin', will we hear it?"

"NO!"

"What if the Delanceys come out swingin' will we hear it?"

"NO!"

When you got a hundred voices singin' who can hear a lousy whistle blow?

And the World will know!

This ain't no game; we got a ton of rotten fruit and perfect aim.

So they gave their word? Well it ain't worth beans!

Now the newsies are going to see what stop the presses really means.

"And the day has come, and the time is now..." they murmur. "And the fear is gone!"

"And their name is mud!" Boots adds. 

"And the strike is on!" 

"And I can't stand blood!" Boots adds, further emphasizing, much to David Simmons' relief, that if they get violent this won't work like they want it to.

"And the World will know...." they all murmur.

Jack Sullivan comes up to David Simmons. "Pulitzer may own the World, but he don't own us."

Pulitzer may own the World, but he don't own us!

He puts his hands on David's shoulders. "Pulitzer may crack the whip, but he won't whip us!" Showing him that this will all turn out just fine.