A Day At Sheepshead | August 2, 1899

Ah yes, a flashback chapter!

I hinted that this would happen in the last author's note haha.

Definitely not as long though.

Featuring my favorite ship: Sprace! :)

Enjoy! :)

------------------------------------

Racetrack wasted absolutely no time at all making his way to Sheepshead Bay.

What can he say? He's back to making money, and he missed going to the races.

Did he not use enough gambling metaphors in his speech on the 24th to convey how much he missed going to the races?

None of that matters anymore, because here he is, at the entrance of Sheepshead Races.

And Spot is here too.

They grin when they see each other.

"What took you so long?" Spot asks him.

Race smirks and shrugs. "Just savorin' the feeling of making it out alive from compromisin' with the World, is all."

"That was pretty great," Spot agrees as they walk in together.

Right when they get inside, Race takes in a deep breath and exhales in the same manner. He smiles as he looks around. He has missed this.

The last time he was here was July 17th. That was nearly half a month ago. 

That is far too long to go without coming here.

It feels more like it's been two months than just two weeks.

But that's over now. 

Spot and Race sell papers before the races start. After they place their first bets, they find seats.

"You sure the fourth is going to win this one?" Spot asks him.

"Oh yeah, the fourth's got to win," Race delares. "If not this race, then the next one."

"And where exactly has bettin' on the same horse all the time gotten you?"

Race glares at Spot. "I have my reasons."

"Ah, you know I'm joking." Spot shoves Race's shoulder lightly. "And I bet the third'll win."

"You sure?"

"Yeah I'm sure."

"Wanna bet on that?"

"We already did!"

"No, I mean between the two of us."

"Okay, whoever loses gives up a paper for the other to sell."

"Deal."

"You know, sometimes I think you're too obsessed with gambling," Spot comments.

Before Race can deliver any sort of snarky response, the race starts, and he's immediately entranced.

This is why he wants a permanent box at Sheepshead Races.

Because this never gets old.

Watching the horses all run on the track, the anticipation of which one is going to come first place, the roar of the crowd, the excitement of the odds, the feeling of it all...

...It's all so amazing.

If Race had a permanent box at Sheepshead Races, he'd practically live here. If he got a permanent box at Sheepshead Races, he'd be the happiest person alive.