20 | Triumphant

OOOOO THIS IS IT!

Oh no, this means I actually have to come up with what all goes down.

I got this. Maybe? Don't worry I totally got this haha.

Enjoy! :)

----------------------------------

They all walk into the main office together. True, nine people in that crowded space don't exactly fit, but they're making it work.

Mr. Denton already alerted the people in the main office that this was going to happen.

And so they gesture the group to the principal's office.

And so they all go in. Together.

He's waiting for them.

"You disagree with a decision I make, and this is how you act," Mr. Pulitzer says first, talking directly to his daughter.

Kathryn swallows. "It's not just me you're affecting. It's all of us, all of the GSA, all of the clubs, all of the school."

"Extra, extra," Jack says as he puts a copy of their newspaper on Mr. Pulitzer's desk. "Read all about it."

And just like that, channeling his inner newsie, Jack gains just that tiny bit more confidence.

Mr. Pulitzer glares at him.

Sean pulls out his phone for a moment, probably checking the time or something.

"Isn't that face more proof that this is bias?" Jack asks the principal. "You hate me. And you want to spite me. So you thought you could do this and get away with it?"

Mr. Pulitzer has nothing to say to that.

"If you read the paper, you'll see that we're not alone in this," David suggests. "I've read it myself. Kathryn definitley has a way with words. They are very talented, don't you think?"

Kathryn heard themself be referred to as they. Kathryn averts her eyes as a grin tugs at their lips. It makes them happy to hear it.

"They are, they are," Jack agrees. "See, I don't need to be dating her to know that they're amazing."

Jack even fluctuated between the 'she' and 'they.'

Sarah holds Kathryn's hand. "Jack breaking up with Kathryn just might have been the best thing that ever happened for me, because now I get to date them. And they are the best."

Kathryn smiles at Sarah. If there's any time to officially-officially come out as wlw with she/they pronouns, this would be it.

"I thought you all just came from an English class or something," Mr. Pulitzer says. "Surely you'd know that a singular person cannot be referred to as they."

And there it is.

Right then and there. Unsupportive of them. His own child.

So why would it be so hard to believe that he'd be unsupportive of anyone else with a queer identity?

Jack and Sean exchange glances. Then Jack turns back to Mr. Pulitzer, having one last question to ask.

"So can we agree that this was a direct act of homophobia?" Jack asks. "And hatred towards me? But you covered it up? Because this whole discussion about new lunch rules started when the Delanceys told you that they saw David and I kiss in the hallway. After that, we were told we no longer had GSA. That can't be written off as anything other than blatant homophobia."