19 | We're Ready

A climactic moment, or at least a leading up to the climax moment.

Sorry I'm not naming random students, I just want to focus on what's happening...or I don't want to inadvertently create original characters? I don't know haha.

In the third paragraph, all those claims of how much Kid Blink was bribed with can be found in the article I referenced in the last chapter.

Still, this is a big moment.

Enjoy! :)

-------------------------------------------

And suddenly, Louis gains his confidence back.

Because he's never been more certain of this: Kid Blink didn't actually betray the newsies. He wouldn't. 

The thing is, all the papers contradict each other on how much Kid Blink was bribed with. Some say $200, others $400, others say he was offered free papers and a dollar a day, one even claimed that Kid Blink just thought the strike was over.

He knows that Kid Blink--that he wouldn't do something like that.

Nick has told him more than once that he is his own person. That he won't make the same mistakes that Kid Blink possibly made.

Louis can't wait to tell Nick what he inexplicably knows to be true: Kid Blink didn't betray the newsies, no matter what every one else thought.

What actually happened? He may never know.

But it's okay.

He doesn't need to know exactly what happened.

Somewhere, in some time, Kid Blink is calling out, crying I didn't do it! I'm innocent!

And Louis believes him.

-----------------------------------------

Monday morning comes unfairly fast. But it's okay: they're ready, and they have a plan.

This is all going to work out.

They just know it.

As a group, they enter the school together. Tony is still very uncomfortable, but they made a plan so that he's never alone during the day; there's always going to be someone with him, or someone waiting for him to come to them--never too far apart.

Sean squeezes Tony's hand reassuringly. And then, he takes off to the main office.

The idea is that if Sean shows the school the text messages Tony sent (with Tony's consent, of course) about feeling unsafe about going to school on Monday to someone working in the main office, that by the end of the day at latest the Delanceys will be suspended.

"We're not going to let anything happen to you," Jack promises.

"Hope you don't mind being stuck with us all day!" Charlie says cheerfully.

Charlie's brightness makes Tony grin. "Nah, I don't think I'll ever get tired of you guys."

They all smile at that.

Charlie's just so happy because he's so excited. He's only in ninth grade, and he's already participating in something huge. Maybe in a few years it won't seem as big; but in this moment, this is his world. In this moment, he is reliving the tale of kids sticking together and showing the adults that they are going to be listened to. It's all exhilarating.