Just You And Me | February 23, 1900

Yes, you knew this flashback chapter was coming! :)

So this is the year after the strike.

A new century! *Ooooooh*

This doesn't necessarily stay on February 23rd, but that's around where this is set, so that's just how I'm doing things with the chapter title and such.

I don't know what it is with me and February. The last chapter was in February, this chapter is February, my brain is convinced that we are mid-way through February 2022 ... at this point I don't even know haha.

And this will a lot of Race and his little brother!! :)

And there will be Sprace + Blush + Javid :)

And my favorite: a sunset chapter!! :)

Enjoy! :)

-------------------------------

Race and Spot are down at the Brooklyn docks, looking at the glorious sunset, enjoying each other's company.

Race loves sunsets.

This is the kind of sunset that just explodes in the sky; there's the sun, the clouds, the sky around it, and the beautiful reflection on the water. There are many kinds of sunsets for different times of day, different times of the year. Race loves all of them. This sunset in particular is the one rich with the golden orange color of the sun, the sky an explosion of pink, a light violet further out to the sides, the water glittering and reflecting it all. It's beautiful. It's all so beautiful.

"It's so pretty," Race states randomly, breaking the silence. He couldn't keep it in any longer. He gestures out towards the horizon. "The sky. The sun. The clouds. The water. The reflection. The horizon. The colors." He grins. "It's just all so, so beautiful. All of it."

"It is," Spot agrees. "But if I had to choose between the beauty of the sunset and you..."

"Aww." He shoves Spot's shoulder lightly. "Stop."

"How about this? If I said if I was in Brooklyn, looking at the sunset, and looking at you, then I would be surrounded by all my favorite things; is that better?"

"I like the sound of that."

"Thought you would," Spot grins.

"Same goes for you too," Race says. "In Brooklyn, with the sunset, and you right beside me, all my favorite things in one place. I don't need Sheepshead when I have that image. Especially because you're there."

"I think now you're bein' a little sappy."

"You started it." 

"True," Spot chuckles before kissing Race on the cheek.

They spend more time together like this, content with how things are.

Maybe later tonight they'll be here looking at constellations too; something they enjoy doing together just as much as looking at the sunset.

They've been with each other through thick and thin. Last July ... a lot was going on. This new year, new decade, new century ... it holds a lot of potential and promise. They'll stick together, no matter what happens.

And they'll enjoy all the little quiet happy moments like this one, where they can sit together peacefully and watch the sunset.

------------------------

Kid Blink and Mush start their day selling together, just like they always do.