38. CHRISTMAS BREAK

(brace yourselves ahh read this chapter slowly and take in everything ehehehe)

Finally, inner peace. Christmas break usually brought a lot of this.

Most students went home for the holidays leaving the castle almost completely empty. Though you usually went to stay with the Potters, you'd stayed at the castle twice. The only other kid who didn't go home in Gryffindor Tower this year was a second year. You were pretty sure his name was Shawn.

But he was very annoying you came to find out one morning. You and Sirius were heading outside to the greenhouse and you had passed him on the way.

Turns out he's incredibly nosy. He wouldn't leave you alone all day.

"Where are you going?" He asked when you and Sirius passed him. You just said for a walk, you didn't need a second year walking in and bothering you. Then he proceeded to ask what you were going to do. A while later you managed to tell him you promised your friends (being Regulus and Remus) you'd meet them somewhere and he didn't insist after that.

That night at dinner, he sat a good distance from all of you, but you could tell he was listening to your conversation. Meanwhile, the few Slytherins staying here for the holidays were scowling at you, specially at Regulus. It wouldn't be long before one of them came up to you.

But you remembered your promise to yourself; and the rest of the Marauders. No drama. Just have a good break and be happy. So, while the snow was gently falling outside, the four of you lit the fireplace in the common room and pulled out a game of chess.

First match, Remus versus you. Sirius voted that you should have commentary since you had watchers, so the game started.

"First move by Y/n, what will she do? Will she go bold? Will she go small...? Whatever it is, she knows she has to be strategic, she's playing against one of the greatest greatest Chess masters of Gryffindor house!"

"Ooh! Knight takes Rook! Good move played by the one and only Remus Lupin, now, what will Y/n do?"

"Ohh!! She takes Pawn! Now, back to black, what will Lupin do?" Then he got a bit carried away by what he said. "Oh! Back to black, you know what that sounds like? Back in Black! Should we play some music!"

"Go ahead, just don't turn it up too much, I cannot lose to her," Remus said concentrating.

Regulus sided with Sirius, "I love AC/DC!" He exclaimed.

"Really?? What's your favourite song?" Sirius asked him excitedly. You'd think they were new friends getting to know each other, not brothers who grew up together. It was nice seeing them happy together finally.

So, the two brothers ran up the stairs to the boys dorm and came back a few minutes later. Not only had they gotten the album and the record player, they also came dressed in matching grey pajama pants and black AC/DC t-shirts Remus had brought back from a concert.

You loved seeing them doing things together like this, the way brothers should be.

Sirius came and sat back down next to you, Regulus sat in between you and Remus facing the board.

Remus moved one of his few remaining Knights and you returned the move by taking it.

"Fuck Y/n, when'd you get so good?" He groaned throwing his hands up.

You shrugged. "Practice? You should try it, maybe you'd beat me."

This earned laughs from the brothers a scoff from Remus. Only the second day of break and you hadn't been happier in months.