33. DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS

"Pop quiz!" Professor Tutman clapped his hands together, followed by groans from the class. "This week we've been going over Unforgivable Curse protection, is that correct?" You all nodded. He looked around for a few seconds choosing a victim.

"Mr. Black!" Both Regulus and Sirius turned their heads up at him. "Um, Regulus, can you tell one of the curses?" He specified.

"Cruciatus Curse," he said without a moment of hesitation. This made you and Sirius turn to face him. Both of your parents had used that spell frequently  as  a  simple  punishment  just  for bothering   them.   You   were   about   to   say something (not very nice) to him, but you physically saw the hurt on his face while he said it. You decided to let it slip, actually feeling bad for him. You remembered the feeling, like a million knives stabbing you over and over, while your mind saw the worst images it could possibly think of. You teared up, not dating to let them fall. Not in class.

Regulus returned your gaze.

You didn't notice you were still staring at him. He didn't do anything, just continued staring. Just when you were about to turn away, his moth formed into a few words. Something you never in million years thought you'd hear — or see — coming from his mouth.

I'm sorry.

You turned away. Professor Tutman was still talking. Had Regulus Black really just apologized to you? Impossible. You turned around again, but he was writing something on his paper. Notes probably.

Sirius glanced at you.

"Miss Parker! Name one powerful stunning spell," the Professor indirectly silenced Sirius.

"Protego Maxima," you said without hesitation.

He nodded. "Very good."

As he called on another student, Sirius turned back to you, touching the side of his hand to yours. "Not ditching me for my brother are you?"   He   whispered   with   false   sarcasm.

"He apologized to me," you whispered so quietly he didn't understand what you said at first. Then he got the message.

"...For what?"

You shrugged. Just then, you felt something hit your arm. You have thought James threw something at you, so you turned around while the professor was busy writing something on the chalkboard.

You flattened out the crumbled piece of paper.

Meet me by the stairs during dinner. Bring Sirius
-Regulus

You stared at the note for quite some time, and you turned back to Regulus, but he was paying attention to what Professor Tutman was saying.

You glanced at the note again, Sirius was looking over your shoulder.

You   looked   at   him,   your   face   was   just millimeters away, and you couldn't help but glance at his lips quickly.

"We go?" He whispered with a trace of a smirk.
You nodded.

——

Both of you quickly stuffed your food into your mouth,  getting  weird  looks  from  Remus  and Peter.

"What're you guys up to?" Peter asked chewing on a slice of bread. You shrugged as you put the fork down and wiped your mouth on a napkin, still chewing. "We need to go meet a... friend... yeah."

Remus gave you a look taking a sip of his apple juice. "Alright," he said with an amused tone.

"Bring down your ego Remus, your not famous or anything."