17. POTIONS

"Welcome!" Professor Slughorn's voice boomed as student entered the classroom. He pointed to where he wanted students to sit as they came in, you walked in first, then Sirius, Lily, James, Peter, and Remus. He pointed to an empty seat to the very right of the room when it was your turn, then told Sirius to sit by you.

He motioned for Lily and James behind you, and Peter and Remus in front of you. Cool, all of us are close together, you sighed, relieved.

"I guess we're together," you said to Sirius. "Guess so," he said. He looked down at his hands and started playing with a scrap of paper, folding it, unfolding it, and ripping it, until all the student had their seats and the bell rang.

You all got out your copies of Advanced Potion Making and started opening them up when Professor Slughorn said, "There will be no need for our books today; if everybody could stand up, I have some potions I would like to show you all."

You all then closed your books and slowly stood up looking around the classroom to see if anybody else was doing it.

"Don't be shy, yes come on," he said, waving his hand as in saying 'come'. You all crowded around his big desk, seeing a few potions displayed. "Now the first potion we will be looking at today is called the Draught of Living Death." He smiled awkwardly. "Feel free to look, but I must warn you, do not, under any circumstances, touch this potion, unless you would like to experience the deepest sleep possible."

You all took a step back at this. He talked on and on about this specific potion for a while, then moved on to Felix Felicis which he described as the "most powerful luck potion".

Then he went on to the last potion displayed on his desk. "This one here is called Amortentia, now, does anyone know what it does?" He smiled awkwardly at you all again. Nobody said anything for a while until Frank Longbottom raised his hand.

"Your name?" He asked Frank.
"Frank Longbottom sir," he told Slughorn.
"Frank, care telling us what Amortentia does?"
"It's the most powerful love potion in the world sir," Frank explained. "Very good, very good," Slughorn said, nodding. "Gather 'round, you my dear, what do you smell?" He asked a random girl in the back.

"D- daisies, ink, and... h- honey," she stuttered.
He nodded in approval then pointed to another boy who had his hand up. "Lemon, old wood, and mint," he said without hesitation.

This went on for a few rounds before he pointed to you. "Miss Parker?"

"Uhh, leather, fresh parchment and... cologne?" You almost asked. James stared at you, then smiled and looked down, you were confused now. "Good, good," Slughorn exclaimed.

"Mr. Black, what do you smell?" He asked Sirius.

"Vanilla, the ocean...? and leaves in autumn," he said slowly, as in taking in the smells while saying it, of course that's probably what he was doing.

Professor Slughorn surveyed a few more students before the class's end, and when the bell rang all of you quickly picked up your things and ran to your next class.

"Leather and cologne?" Lily asked giggling. "What's so bad about that?" You asked annoyed.
"Y/n, who do you think that is?" When you didn't answer, she said, "you smell Sirius y/n!"

"Lily don't you reckon I'd know what my best friend smells like?" You huffed. She went on and on about how it was him, and you told her a million times you did not like Sirius Black, but of course, she wouldn't listen.

"Lily for my sake, please stop," you begged. She rolled her eyes and walked without saying another word about it the rest of they way.

word count: 643