30. SECRETS SECRETS

The classroom was the literal definition of silence.

There was no talking, no quills scratching, no parchment folding or paper crumbling, almost as if nobody was breathing. 

Just the occasional nearly silent turn of a page, then silence again.

Professor Quirrell had given everyone a giant textbook, over three thousand pages long, and each page took an eternity to read. You sat on your  bench  in  between  Remus  and  Sirius, occasionally you'd throw your head back in annoyance then continue reading.

The hours stretched on. Or what seemed like hours anyway, it could've been second for all you knew.

Suddenly, you had the urge to sneeze, and before you could stop it you interrupted the dead silence. The whole class slowly turned and stared at you. You felt like the dumbest person in history.

Sirius snorted next to you and buried his face in his arms to cover it up on. You barely stopped yourself from doing something stupid, like smacking him or telling him off. You couldn't blow the... thing going on between you two...

Remus gave him a look, then glanced at you. His eyes trailed down to your neck quickly before back up at you.

"What happened here?" He whispered under his breath, a trace of a smirk visible on his lips. You fought the urge to smile.

"I uhh, burned myself with a straightener."

"Your hair isn't straight," he said suspiciously.

"Yeah I took a shower after," you quickly said to cover it up.

"By yourself?" He asked nodding his head towards Sirius.

"Remus!" You hit him lightly with the back of your hand. Great. You turned back to your book, and he grabbed a bottle of water next to him to take a sip.

"No," you whispered.

He choked on it, then coughed to cover it up, causing the class to look back again, Professor Quirrell included. Remus wasn't bad, you knew he'd absolutely never leave you alone, but he wouldn't go around telling everyone.

You scribbled something down on a piece of parchment, then passed it to him.

For the record I'm not mad at you

"I know," he whispered. He glanced at Sirius one last time and back at you. "Finally."

——

Dinner that evening was one of the most awkward atmospheres you've been in. The Gryffindors had subconsciously made a seating chart, everyone would in the exact spot every day without even noticing, so there was no room to move around or sit somewhere else.

Sirius kept stealing glances at you, subtly flirting, and you responded with the same emotion every time. Remus of course knew everything that was going on, and kept looking at the both of you to see what you'd do next, hiding smirks.

James on the other hand was absolutely blind to everything, silently eating his dinner, most likely thinking about his beloved Lily.

Peter was turned the other direction talking to some other kid he was friends with to avoid the situation.

The five of you kept getting weird looks from everyone because of the silence, adding on to the awkwardness of Remus knowing what happened between you and Sirius and James's depressed look.

Almost done with dinner, you had enough of the silence, you couldn't stand it anymore.

"Alright look, James if your sorry just say it, and Remus stop doing that."

James didn't respond.

"Wow, really?" You couldn't believe him right now. "James!"

He rolled his eyes to look toward you. "Look  Y/n, yes I'm sorry alright? I didn't think you'd get so upset about this you know you hate him just as much as I do!"

You just stared at him. "Okay that is not at all true, I don't hate him. I just... strongly dislike him."

James scoffed.

"And Lily? You don't think thats something you should be concerned about right now?"

He stood up so quickly you don't even had time to finish your sentence. He slammed his hands down on the table making a few people around him jump. "DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO THINK ABOUT LILY! YOU THINK I DONT KNOW HOW THIS FEELS?! And you Sirius, are you with me or not?"

"Wha..." Sirius looked to James then you. "James I can't choose between you!"

Half the room was staring at this point.

You shook your head. "Fine then! Go cry in a corner about what YOU did to your precious little girlfriend!"

He groaned, then stormed out the Great Hall rolling his eyes.

You stood up, flipping him off. "FU CK YOU PRONGS! FU-"

"HEY! Sit down will you?!" Remus grabbed the loop of your jeans and pulled you back down to the chair. "You two idiots have the entire room glaring at us! You see this?" He gestured to the other tables, all heads turned to you.

You rolled your eyes and turned back to your food, picking at it with your fork. Everyone slowly stared settling down, but you no longer had an appetite.

Eventually you slammed the fork down and stood up to go to your room.

Sirius looked up at you, reached to grab the belt loop of your jeans.

"Will you guys stop that?"

He grabbed your hand and pulled you towards him  so  you  were  squatting  in  between  two tables. Remus turned around to face you too.

"What."

"Look just calm down alright?" Sirius said still holding your hand.

"Calm down? Calm down, are you kidding me-"

You stood up again, but before you could get anywhere Sirius pulled you back.

"Sirius I swear to-"

Remus covered your mouth with his hand before you could finish.

"Just shut up! Look I know you're mad at him and all, and I get it ok? But lay off you saw he didn't mean to hurt anyone. He just lost you two and Lily."

"Yeah? And who's fault is that?" You said.

Remus rolled his eyes. "My point is let him cool off, you know he'll come crawling back once he wants to."

"Lets just leave him alone for a bit, alright?" Sirius said putting his hand on your shoulder.

"Alright, yeah whatever." You stood up. "Can I go now or are one of you gonna try and stop me again?"

"Ha ha." Remus said sarcastically.

Sirius stood up and started walking behind you.

"Hey! Keep it kid friendly got it?"

"There no children Remus," you called out to him, then mouthed, "not yet anyways."

** REMUS'S PERSPECTIVE **

"Wha- hang on a minute!" I called behind her.

She just laughed and continued walking away with Sirius following behind. These two are going to kill me one day...

I went back to my food with Peter, seeming to be the only one not taking sides.