Day 2: First Night

Note: This is sort of a follow up to yesterday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been a few days since her team had saved her in Vietnam. She had been sent home that day, and that night would be the first she had slept in her own bed since last September.

'Hetty, are you sure you don't want me to sleep with you tonight?' Callen asked.

'I'm very sure, Mr. Callen. I'm a big girl, I can sleep by myself. And I know you were at my side the past few nights at the hospital. You deserve a break tonight.' Hetty responded.

'Okay, if you say so. I'll be in the guest room.'

She knew he meant well, but she didn't want to feel like a burden to him, or that she couldn't sleep by herself for fear of nightmares.

A couple hours in, Callen woke up. He knew Hetty could handle sleeping by herself just fine. But he also knew how terrible it was to be abused for a long time, and she was held captive and abused for 3 months.

He knew she was tough, but he also knew that during the few days she was at the hospital, her hand trembled multiple times while she was sleeping. He held it before the dream could get any worse and never told her she had bad dreams.

After a couple of minutes, Callen went to her room, and sat down in a comfy chair. So far, Hetty was sleeping comfortably. 'Hopefully it stays that way.' He thought.

She didn't have a bad dream that night, but she did have a dream that caused her to wake up feeling really sad.

'Good morning, Mr. Callen.'

He woke up suddenly.

'Huh? Oh, Good morning Hetty.'

'Look, I know you said you wanted to sleep alone last night, and I know how tough you are. But, I just couldn't stomach the thought of you having a nightmare and me not being able to stop it! Your hand trembled at the hospital, and I squeezed it, it happened more then once. I just, thought you needed more time.' Callen rambled.

Silence.

With a sad face, 'Thank you, for all of that. I understand your worries, and I think it's very sweet. And, I didn't have a bad dream last night. But, it was a sad one.'

'Can I give you a hug?'

'Yes, you may.'

They hugged.

'You do know I'm going to have to sleep by myself at some point, right?' Hetty said.

'I know, I know.'

'And, thank you for stopping my nightmares.'