twenty-nine

hello, everyone! tysm for 50k <3

small warning for today, as there are mentions in the text that can't exactly be skipped over due to their future importance; however, please don't push yourself to read through a potential trigger. if you aren't comfortable, my story should not EVER be an excuse for you to leave that comfort zone. i'm more than willing to break down the chapter through individual messages for those of you who don't feel like reading it.

⚠️
this chapter contains descriptions of choking and other physical abuse. please read at your own discretion.
⚠️

that's all! have a great day/night, loves :)

✺✺✺

Percy's ears ring, deafening everything around him. His throat begs to close, but he swallows forcefully, preventing it from furthering his sense of vulnerability.

In front of him, (Y/N) shrugs apologetically—no, not apologetically, Percy needs to remind himself; rather, with an imitation of such. A mocking pout forms on her lips as her eyes scan over the five restrained campers. "Sorry if I hurt your feelings," she says, folding the Golden Fleece over her elbow.

Annabeth collects herself, taking a breath for her composure to steady. "You're horrible," she breathes, her voice raw. The demigod behind her tightens his hold on her wrists, and (Y/N) tilts her head at the blonde with intrigue.

"Ouch," (Y/N) brings her hand to her chest in fake offense, grinning at the anger that subsequently passes over Annabeth's expression. Scoffing quietly in amusement, (Y/N) rolls her eyes before speaking again. "But, no, I'm already aware of your point of view on this. You can do better than that kind of insult, Annabeth. How about you try to tell me something I don't know?—"

Annabeth grinds her teeth.

Percy's breaths quicken.

Grover and Clarisse share an unsure glance in the moment of quiet, (Y/N)'s pause held for a beat too long to be natural.

"—Otherwise, you're just wasting my time," she finishes, one eyebrow quirking before it rests.

Clarisse's eyes narrow at the action.

Luke steps forward from beside Persephone's daughter, clapping to earn his crew's attention. "As entertaining as this is, let's get going; I don't much want to keep Kronos waiting. Clear out!" He points at the quintet, eyes focused on Percy. "No funny business." At the words, (Y/N) gestures to Evander near the cave wall, a crossbow in hand with its bolt at the ready.

Percy looks at the weapon and its size, moving his gaze to Evander's hold on it—his right hand is loose around the pistol grip, his left resting on the barrel rather than the foregrip. He was anything but completely ready to fire.

Glancing away to keep from arousing confusion, Percy lifts his head, watching with anticipation as Luke turns to gather his crew. Waiting as the surrounding demigods begin to move, Percy's eyes again flit to the relaxed Evander before a certain half-blood catches his attention.

(Y/N) eyes widen briefly in a warning glare before she turns her back.

The moment she takes a step, Percy acts.

He twists his wrists while stepping forcefully behind him, his heel making contact with Chris' toes. Annabeth gasps in surprise just as Chris lets out a grunt of pain, and (Y/N) whirls to face them with fire in her eyes.

Everything happens too quickly to comprehend.

Evander lifts the crossbow, adjusting his hold on the weapon and trying to aim at Percy, who pulls himself from Chris' grip and sends an elbow strike onto his collarbone. Grover, Annabeth, and Clarisse try to follow Percy's lead, but one command from Luke prompts the sidekicks behind them to twist their arms and pull them away, making them cry out in pain and protest. Tyson struggles against the Laestrygonian, flinching at the monster's responsive growl.