four

before we start, a HUGE thanks to @miamox for the comment spam!!!

also, rewrites and edits have begun on Rise! the new chapters are going to be significantly different (better writing, varying perspectives, more chapter depth & length, etc) but they're far more improved. i've re-uploaded chapters 1-3 so far, so please check them out as they get updated!

p.s.- there's no set schedule, so i'll announce what's been updated when i post here if y'all wanna read 'em :)

edited: april 7, 2021
✺✺✺

Inhale.

Waves crash.

Exhale.

Owls' wings flutter.

Inhale.

Trees rustle in the breeze.

Exhale.

(Y/N) soaks in the atmosphere, her eyes closed as the environment around her turns hazy. The waves still spray mist onto her skin, the owls still flit through the trees, the branches never stop their swaying, but the living world is drowned out as (Y/N) dips into her soul.

Her focus is on the trickle of fire that still runs through her veins, emphasized by Nyx's blanket of darkness. The power surrounding her is terrifyingly strong, heavily weighted, and on the verge of being suffocating.

As the fire slowly finds strength, her body grows weak.

Inhale.

The beating of (Y/N)'s heart echoes through her ears, taking over the muffled sounds of life around her. She persists.

Her arms start to tremble, all strength and support fading away.

Exhale.

The blood in her veins increases a fraction in warmth, and the droplets of mist feel icy on her face. Her previously-strong spine begins to sway in what seems to now be a blisteringly cold breeze, and the darkness that once used to be her fuel strips away all the energy from her body, letting her strength dissolve into the night.

Air is replaced with nothing but cold, and (Y/N)'s body freezes, unable to find control in her breathing. She unwillingly collapses, the ability to sit up properly lost to her. The moment she lets go of the power, her eyes snap open, stinging with tears in the frigid air.

A thin burst of fire extends across the sand as her body hits the shore, and air rushes painfully into her lungs. (Y/N)'s breaths are strained, desperate, and with great struggle, she turns onto her shoulder. With shaking arms, she does her best to push herself up as much as possible, coughs wracking her body and nearly forcing her arms to falter.

Grains of sand dig into the skin of her palms, and (Y/N) tries to slow her frantic breathing. Her lungs burn as soft wheezes escape her throat, consequently followed by a series of coughing fits. She lets out a few whimpers before her breaths steady, and the gentle wind makes her body shiver without control.

Doing her best to keep her composure, (Y/N) forces herself into a sitting position, her knees hugged closely to her chest. She lets out a deep sigh, her shoulders bobbing lightly with the restrained sobs that want to force their way through her barriers. Deciding against focusing on the night, (Y/N) stares at a shrub to her left that is growing out of a ledge on the cliff face. Her chest's rises and falls even out as she reaches for the vegetation's life force, connecting to it instead.

The pulses of energy that rush forward from the cliff, through the sand, and to (Y/N)'s feet are what spread ripples of calm throughout her body, and the slightest amount of strength returns to her.