twenty-four

hi :)

updates will no longer be scheduled regularly; i'll post a chapter when i've had enough time to write at least one ahead

i truly hope this is compensation enough 😔

also, C/W: injuries & blood
✺✺✺

Water acts in peculiar ways.

It provides life and shelter while being able to cause death and catastrophe. Its waves are able to cease their movement to the utmost stillness yet can touch the clouds and join the skies. And its depths—which may often be perceived as bright and lovely—always have their potential of suffocating the light in its dark, terrifying grasp.

It is the epitome of contradiction.

To experience all of its potential can be a great misfortune.

(Y/N) closes her eyes against the sun's light, its refraction on the expanse of waves blinding and unwelcomed. Percy pulls her into his chest, allowing the shade from his body to offer some comfort in her weakened state.

Her lungs, though full of oxygen, still manage to feel empty.

Percy's arms around her, while gentle and caring, give off the illusion of constriction and restraint.

The light shining through her eyelids, appearing orange instead of white, drags her mind back under the sea, where glimmers bounced around the water before disappearing into its depths without a trace.

A soft kiss on her hair brings her back. She opens her eyes, blinking away the discomfort and looking across the waves.

The waves that are blue, not the grey of storm clouds and glass that they were previously. Not the black of the deep that kept its iron vice on her body and took her close to her death.

But blue. The blue of roses and wooden beads and soft t-shirts.

Of Percy's eyes, which always find a way to become indistinguishable from the nearest body of water. Which look down at her with concern and relief and indescribable amounts of affection.

(Y/N) lifts her head from the crook of his neck, sitting up straighter and giving him a gentle smile. He returns it, glancing at the other two uninterested demigods on the lifeboat before planting a soft kiss to her temple. (Y/N) presses her forehead against his for a brief moment, pulling away and standing on shaky legs.

At the consequent rocking of the lifeboat, Annabeth turns her head, keeping the Thermos of Winds pinned down on the stern's small deck. "Need help?" she asks, watching as (Y/N) holds her arms out to ensure she remains balanced.

After a moment, the daughter of Persephone shakes her head. "All good." She takes careful steps over to the bench closest to the stern. Raising an eyebrow at her best friend's tired arms while sitting, (Y/N) asks, "You wanna switch out?"

"I'll do it," Percy interjects before an answer is given, getting up from his bench to take the Thermos from Annabeth.

She pats his shoulder in gratitude, checking the compass inside the Thermos' lid to make sure Percy is positioned properly. Glancing at Tyson, who reaches over the side of the lifeboat to dip his fingers in the water, she steps over the bench to instead sit on the bow's deck.

(Y/N) leans back against the lifeboat's side, resting her elbows on the edge and closing her eyes as mist occasionally sprays onto her cheeks. She takes a deep breath, trying to calm her quickening heartbeat at the feel of the rocking boat. It could tip over, it could throw her into the water, she could sink once more without hope of escape, she could leave her friends and won't be able to ensure their safety—