three

edited: april 7, 2021
✺✺✺

"Hey, bitch!"

"That's me!"

Annabeth and Percy watch in concern as their best friends scream at each other from opposite ends of the almost-empty courtyard. The tip of Riptide is stuck into the ground, and Percy leans some of his weight onto it, his hair sticking to his forehead and some falling into his eyes. Equally breathless and sweaty is Annabeth, who rests the flat side of her sword onto her shoulder, and both of them look back and forth between Grover and (Y/N).

The satyr's hands are cupped around his mouth as he yells encouragement to the training demigod, "You go, girl! Crush her ass!"

(Y/N) ducks under a sword as she laughs, shaking her head a bit with a smile on her face as she steps away from the girl in front of her. Nyssa Barrera, the daughter of Hephaestus that (Y/N) is sparring, does her best to hold in her own snickers. She tucks some of her dark hair back behind the red bandana on her head before swinging at (Y/N) again, the daughter of Persephone easily deflecting the blow.

"Go, Nyssa!" Annabeth yells, earning a smile from one demigod and an offended gasp from the other.

"Thank you!"

"Annie!"

Annabeth laughs, and Percy chuckles beside her before watching again.

He focuses as they spar, trying to examine (Y/N)'s technique to see what he should work on. Annabeth raises an eyebrow, looking at him from the corner of her eye before leaning closer, "Hey, Percy?"

He hums in acknowledgement before letting out an exclamation of surprise, his back hitting the grass as a sword is pointed at his neck. "Really?" he asks Annabeth in slight frustration, and she shrugs innocently, an amused smirk on her face.

"Oh, come on, Percy, don't get so distracted!" (Y/N) calls out to him with an amused smile, her sword hanging down at her side as she looks at the boy from across the clearing. A flash of dark brown skin and the glinting of silver enters her periphery, and (Y/N) lifts her training sword to block Nyssa's blow. She disarms her opponent without even turning her head, giving Percy a look that clearly says, 'See?'.

The boy rolls his eyes before hooking his leg behind Annabeth's shin, swiping her feet out from underneath her. She hits the ground with an 'oomph', and Percy kicks her sword away from her, taking Riptide into his grasp once more as he stands. (Y/N) hands the weapon back to her opponent, patting her shoulder before walking over to the rest of her friends, who remain as the only other people in the clearing after Nyssa walks off.

Not saying anything, (Y/N) gently kicks Percy's foot, and he shifts it over to a steadier position while resting the tip of his sword on Annabeth's stomach, the leather chest guard receiving a light scratch at the sharp blade's contact. Annabeth gives a disinterested wave, and Percy pulls Riptide away.

Instead of getting back up, though, the girl simply closes her eyes, her face tilted up to the sky.

(Y/N) plops down beside her, plucking a few blades of grass and sprinkling them onto Annabeth's face. She continues doing this, her best friend's nose sometimes twitching at the ticklish sensation.

Percy sits down on the ground next to (Y/N) by Annabeth's head, and Grover lays down so that Annabeth's stomach is his pillow. The daughter of Athena puffs out a sudden exhale, and blades of grass float into the air before falling away from her face. She opens her eyes, squinting at the sunlight before studying the clouds in the sky.

"It's a rabbit," she states, simply.

Grover gasps, sitting up, "Where?"

(Y/N) chuckles, combing through Annabeth's hair with her fingers as Grover looks around the empty clearing with excitement. "That cloud," Annabeth specifies, humor lacing her words, and Percy props a hand up behind him, leaning back to look up at the sky. Grover pouts a bit before setting his head back on Annabeth's stomach, furrowing his eyebrows at the puffy cotton balls of water.