five

⚠️
dispersed throughout this chapter are mentions of animal abuse and mistreatment
⚠️

i don't know if this is a trigger/discomfort for anyone, but i can't exactly separate the individual sentences from the rest of their respective paragraphs so i'm putting a warning here just in case anyone needs it.

it's nothing too bad, but please don't feel pressured to read if you're uncomfortable. i'm more than willing to PM a breakdown of what happens if you want me to :)

edited: april 7, 2021
✺✺✺

Annabeth and Grover stop beside their best friend, each of them with widened eyes when they see the paddock.

Tethered to the fence and reared on its hind legs, trying to fend off the whip that is repeatedly swung in its direction, is the most beautiful creature that (Y/N) has ever seen.

"Hey!" she yells, catching the attention of the man swinging the length of rope, and he turns around, anger filling his expression before it is replaced ever so slightly with concern.

"What happened to you?" he asks blandly, eyeing the bandages on her hands, but (Y/N) ignores it.

"What happened to him?" she counters, gesturing at the animal before pointedly moving her gaze to the whip.

The man stays quiet, gritting his jaw as the anger floods back, and (Y/N) climbs over the fence, taking a few steps forward but stopping when the man directs the whip to strike the ground right in front of her. Annabeth and Grover shout protests at the man, threatening to cross over as well, but they go ignored.

"Stay back, you hear me?" the man warns, readying the whip again, and (Y/N) lifts her hands to signify compliance of conversation. Her calm demeanor, however, is contrasted by the harshness in her voice.

"Why are you doing this?" she asks, and the man lowers his whip, running a hand through his long black curls before gesturing at the Pegasus.

"You see that beauty? I would be the envy of the gods on the back of that creature."

(Y/N) has to admit, the animal is truly stunning, its black body with a single patch of white on its head gleaming in the sunlight; large wings shaped to perfection; and long, sleek mane streaked with a few tones of white. But despite its captivating features, the Pegasus is thin and starved, multiple whip lashes stretched along its sides and legs, and fury begins to boil in (Y/N)'s stomach.

She cautiously takes another step forward, her hands still raised, "You can see through the Mist?"

He scoffs, rolling his eyes and mocking, "'Can I see through the Mist?' Of course I can see through the Mist! I'm Evander, the son of Eurus!"

"Eurus had a son?" (Y/N) asks, more for herself than for an answer as she directs the question to no one in particular, but the man raises an eyebrow.

"Obviously, he's me."

(Y/N) rolls her eyes, shaking her head before taking another step forward, "Okay, but regardless, why do you need to abuse a beautiful animal to gain the envy of the gods?"

Evander scoffs again, like the answer is the most obvious thing in the world. "None of them care about us; I'm sure you know that. It's a wonder I've lived this long to get my chance to change things. After I'm done, that creature will be under my control. I took him from the skies, and I will reign from the skies. It's time for someone else to rule in the place of my 'almighty' father."