twenty-three

i'm so sorry, but i'm updating this part and then won't be posting more chapters for another week or so. most likely longer. i'm completely overloaded and don't have time to set everything aside for a day just to outline a part and then write it, much less spend the next few poring over the chapter during my editing process. i hate that i have to do this to you again. it's the complete opposite of what i want, i swear.

it's a break, not a sign-off. i promise.

i'll still be reading my notifs and responding to comments, but until i get a minute to finally breathe without stressing about my assignments and college apps, this book is on pause. if possible, i'll try to keep updates on my profile.

i love you guys. i'll be back soon :)
✺✺✺

"I told you he had a brig."

Annabeth ignores Percy (who currently sits in the corner of his cell, his fists clenched so his knuckles have become white), tapping her foot furiously against the floor as she looks outside the porthole window in her cell. This level of the yacht is just above sea level, creating a boring expanse of dark blue as the main thing she can see. However, across the horizon, a thin spot of bright yellow appears, bringing the light of the dawn with hope trailing just behind.

An idea sparked in her mind, Annabeth turns on her heel, taking a deep breath while walking over to her cell's bars and bouncing lightly on her toes. She shakes out her shoulders, closing her eyes to compose herself as she goes still.

Percy watches from the shadow of his corner, an eyebrow raised with intrigue.

Annabeth opens her eyes, her irises changing from the equivalent of a dark and stormy sky to a light, clear grey. She grips the bars in front of her, widening her stance and pulling towards her body with all her strength. A grunt of exertion accompanies the creaking of metal, and she pivots her base foot, muscles straining with the effort.

Her eyes flash yellow, matching the rising sun outside for a brief moment as she wills her enhanced strength to break the thin, measly bars that keep her prisoner. She lets out a yelp of surprise as the ship rocks on a particularly rough wave, causing her to lose her grip and fall on her behind.

The cell's door appears to vibrate with an otherworldly energy, and Annabeth stares in exasperation, breathless and strained from her fruitless effort, as the metal bars become a fraction thicker.

"You have got to be kidding me," she complains, standing up once more. Examining the reinforced door, she looks down to the backplate of the lock, noticing that it hasn't been visibly affected by the magic that strengthened the bars.

Tyson notices this from his own cell, striding over to his door and sending a punch to the backplate, its strength rivalling Annabeth's. The daughter of Athena jumps, startled, at the loud noise that follows, and she looks eagerly to his door in the hopes that the section is weaker than the rest and easily broken.

Her excitement diminishes upon seeing the unaffected metal, and it further vanishes when Tyson's door hums with magic, strengthening itself much like hers did moments prior. She groans in frustration, turning around and sitting with her back to the bars that separate her cell and Percy's.

Tyson looks at her with sympathy, shrugging as he tries to reassure her. "It was a good thought, though."

She ignores him, pulling her knees up to her chest and resting her forearms on top of them.

Tyson sighs quietly, sitting in the corner closest to his cell's door with his back resting against the wall. He fiddles with his fingers to pass the time, barely noticing a glare as it bores into his skull.