twelve

a huge thanks to @sophiathecrackhead and @RubyB15 for the many strings of comments on both books!

also, book 3 now has its cover design and has been uploaded onto my page with its beginning note! don't worry, this book isn't done by a long shot, but Climb is already partially-outlined and waiting :)

as always, i hope you enjoy!
✺✺✺

"I told you, I'm fine."

Annabeth raises an eyebrow, crossing her arms as her disbelieving gaze burns into her best friend. (Y/N) shrugs, taking a bite of the apple in her hand, "Seriously." Percy and Grover glance at each other before adjusting to face her properly, as she sits alone at the Persephone table which is aligned with Athena's and diagonal from Poseidon's.

"You've had dark circles under your eyes for the past four days," Annabeth points out, leaning forward to rest her elbows on the table.

"Insomnia," is the dull response, lack of explanation acting as the cover-up for her lack of honesty.

"This is the first time I'm seeing you eat in four days," Grover says, and (Y/N) furrows her eyebrows.

"Is that bad?"

Her friends stare, incredulous, before Grover deadpans, "Yes, dumbass."

"You love food," Annabeth follows, crossing her arms.

(Y/N) rolls her eyes. "Well, I've been busy; I eat alone."

"You've also been training almost nonstop for the last four days," Percy says, making the girl let out a light scoff.

"We've gotten lots of unprecedented attacks at the barrier, which is kind of a big deal that needs to be fixed."

"We only see you once or twice a day!" It takes great restraint to keep Annabeth from raising her voice completely, but the frustration she feels coats the words without issue. "You have four hours as a guard; you've been avoiding us in your free time!"

(Y/N) chuckles, but the sound is bitter and humorless.

Percy's eyebrows knit together in concern, hoping that she isn't getting into the harsh mindset that closes her off from all emotion.

"Again, I'm fine. You guys just haven't been seeing me often because I have other stuff to do."

"Like what?" Grover challenges, and (Y/N) raises an eyebrow.

"Flying Hesperos, working in the infirmary, training younger campers, etcetera."

The lies slip off of her tongue with ease like the others, but they don't fool the three teenagers in front of her. "Nice try," Annabeth says, narrowing her eyes at (Y/N).

Grover shrugs at the girl's intrigued expression, "You look at our foreheads when you lie. Psychology says it makes you more intimidating, therefore, more believable."

"It's your tell-tale sign," Percy finishes, victoriously indulging in a sip from his goblet as (Y/N) takes a final bite out of her apple.

"Look," she starts, standing up from her bench, "whatever you want me to tell you isn't true. You want me to scare you into believing that I'm afraid for my life or something? Well, I'm not. You want me to unnecessarily make you worry and think that I'm seriously struggling with... I don't know, life? Guess what? I'm not! I'm alive, I'm uninjured, and I'm telling you that I'm okay. There's no need to fret about it."

"(Y/N)—"

"Oh, my Styx, how many times do I have to tell you that I'm fine before you'll start believing it? I get that you're worried, but this is completely excessive! Just let it be!"