eleven

WHY DID YALL READ THE LAST CHAPTER SO QUICKLY I POSTED IT AT LIKE MIDNIGHT OMG

⚠️
there is a slight anxiety attack at the end of this chapter. it's hard for me to mark off without cutting out anything really important so if this is a trigger for you, please read with discretion.
⚠️

also if you have arachnophobia the beginning talks about spiders— just a quick lil warning :)

also also i'm very much hoping that you get mad at me when i planned, it means i've done my job right

also also also, thank you so much for 6k reads!

ok i know this preface thing is rlly long so i'll stop now and let you guys read about percy's bday party lol

enjoy!!!
✺✺✺

"Spiders are arachnids."

"Well, why can't they be insects?"

"Because they can't!"

"But why?"

Percy lets out an exaggerated sigh, flopping back onto the mattress of (Y/N)'s bottom bunk bed. "They're not insects because insects have six limbs," he sticks his arms up, all the fingers on one hand and the thumb on his other pointing out for clarification. "Spiders have eight." He points out the other index and middle fingers on his second hand, turning over on his side to show them to (Y/N).

She furrows her eyebrows, leaning back in her chair. "Why does the amount of limbs even matter? If a dog loses a leg, it's still a dog."

"No, that's not..." Percy groans, letting one arm hang lazily over the edge of the mattress while bringing his other hand up to rub his forehead. "Insects also have three distinct sections of their body," he changes the focus area, looking back to (Y/N). "They have a head —" he points to his head — "a thorax —" he gestures to the top half of his torso — "and an abdomen —" his arm flails around to signify his stomach and hips before it drops over onto his side.

(Y/N) furrows her eyebrows, "Wouldn't humans be insects, then?"

Percy groans, "We've been over this."

"What?" she defends, "With your logic, it's a merited question. We apparently have a head, thorax, and abdomen."

"Humans are mammals. We have more body segments than that. And we don't have six limbs."

She grumbles, drumming her fingers on the armrest of her chair, refusing to admit that he's right. "Hold on," she breathes out, her fingers going still as she stares at the floor.

"What?" Percy props himself up on his elbow, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

(Y/N) lifts her head, looking her best friend dead in the eye, and worry fills Percy at the fear on her face.

A few minutes later, Annabeth and Grover enter the Persephone cabin, arms laden with snacks and board games. "Eyyy we got the- what... happened to you guys?" Grover asks, he and Annabeth freezing in their tracks at the sight of their best friends. (Y/N) and Percy have their elbows resting on their thighs, (Y/N) rubbing her temples while Percy is staring blankly at the floor and gripping his messy black hair.

"(Y/N)? Percy? What's wrong?" Annabeth asks, prompting the daughter of Persephone to shake her head.

"I hate my brain," she complains, still looking at the floorboards and unaware of Annabeth and Grover sharing a glance of concern.