ten

early chapter this week because i've got a lot of stuff going on during my usual updating schedule!!

otherwise, i've finished the rewrites for chapters 4-10 of Rise if y'all wanna give them some love :)

enjoy!
✺✺✺

"No!"

"Yes!"

"Gods damn it."

"Oh, thank the gods!"

"Traitor!"

"I fucking love you!"

(Y/N) laughs at the mixed sounds of disappointment and victory as she walks over to the red team. Percy and Annabeth watch, heartbroken, as Mark and the other campers swarm around her, hugging her or clapping her on the shoulders. Chiron does his best to hide the smile that creeps onto his lips, and (Y/N) chuckles, looking back to the blue team. "Sorry, guys," she apologizes to her best friends, looking anything but sorry.

Percy pouts while Annabeth harrumphs, each of them full of dismay and disappointment. "How could you?" Percy asks, shoulders slumping, prompting a light laugh from the girl.

"It's not a fair game if you and Annie are both on the same team, let alone with me. I'm just evening out the competition," she shrugs, a confident and amused smile on her face.

"Evening it out?" Percy repeats, incredulous as he scoffs, "You're tipping the scale!"

(Y/N) rolls her eyes, "Oh, please. They've got you. And Annabeth. And—"

"You have the Ares kids!" Percy gestures frantically at Team Red, his voice high-pitched and resulting in whoops from the campers behind (Y/N). "You have you, for all the gods' sakes!"

She raises an eyebrow at him before shaking her head in amusement, stepping closer to Percy and gesturing for him to meet her in the middle so she can whisper in his ear. He hesitates before moving forward, tilting his head down as she raises up just a bit on her tiptoes, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Well, that's just too bad for you, then, isn't it?"

Percy scowls as she steps back, victory already in her eyes. She shrugs, almost mockingly, waving him off as she turns and walks back to her team. "Okay," she motions for them to gather around her, and they do so, listening closely.

"I know Annabeth's strategy, so here's the plan. I want two defensive groups, each spaced out, before..." she turns her head, her voice trailing off, and looks over her shoulder to see Annabeth speaking directly to and pointing at Percy; he nods, determined, as he glances back to their opponents, and (Y/N) faces her team once more, "— before Percy goes to steal the flag, then, which I'll be guarding. There are going to be diversions, so I'll need defense to fend them off. Cool?"

Her teammates nod, and she looks at Clarisse, who seems quite bitter (yet understanding) about not taking the lead. Feeling sympathetic, (Y/N) resigns it: "That's the only bit of our plan I wanted to go over. Clarisse," the girl's head snaps up, not expecting to hear her name, "you decide who's offense and defense, along with the rest of our strategy." The daughter of Ares is surprised at this, but she nods, getting into competition mode.

After the game has begun, (Y/N) sits down near the red flag, her legs crossed and eyes closed. It's quite a nice Friday— the chill breeze provides an appreciated break from the otherwise warm summer days, they sky is partially cloudy, and everything in the woods right now simply emanates peace. Squirrels chitter happily in the trees, the water in the creek rushes over pebbles with quiet splashes, and a twig on the ground snaps under a camper's foot.