18- Loving the Mother

Alex's POV
My feet thumped against the pavement, the rythem was even, one clap after another.

I didn't focus on the surroundings, the towing buildings of new York. I focused on keeping my breathing steady and to keep myself steady.

I did how ever stop when a the brick apartment building came into view. I threw open the building's door with such force it rattled.

I proceeded to run up the stairs until I reached the Jackson landing. My old apartment.

I wasn't planning on knocking on the door I just wanted to stand there, let the memories into my head.

but then the door opened. And I stood petrified standing before it. Frozen in unmistakable fear.

"Paul I'll be right-" she began to say, but then she turned her head and saw me and she dead stopped.

"Who are you?" she asked. I didn't speak, I simply stood there. But then she met my eyes and she gasped. Her eyes widened and her skin paled all at once. I couldn't imagine the shock she was going through.

"Alex?!?!?" she asked, hectic.

I found a relieved smile tug at my lips," Hello, mother,"

She dropped her purse and some of the contents rolled out but she didn't seem to notice.

She grabbed me into a hug and I wrapped my arms around her, finding comfort in the embrace.

"I can't believe it's you," she said, grasping my shoulders. Her eyes were rimmed with tears as she smiled.

It's was funny how that works, tears of hapiness. How can one cry of hapiness? If tears are meant to represnet sadness, why do so many people cry of hapiness.

"Flesh and bones," I said

"Come in, come in," she said, pulling me inside. I wasn't sure I wanted to because I felt nostalgic.

She sat me on the couch and hurried to pick up her stuff.

"It's midnight, where we're you heading?" I asked.

Mom sighed," Paul, my new husband," I winced. It was hard to imagine my mom with anyone but Poseidon. "He's sick so I was going to the drug store to get him some medicine."

"Oh." was all I could say.

"the most important thing is why are you here? After seven years" she asked, leaning forward.

She looked tired bags around her eyes and her brown hair slowly turning grey. She was wearing a night gown and had her hair in a bun.

So I explained how I get flashbacks and it feels better to return here.

My mom tilted her head, "It looks like
you've been crying."

"I'm confused," I said eventually.

"How come?"

Im confused about everything, Nico, myself. I can't believe Nico kissed me, and I loved it. I like him, and I know why. Because we can relate to each other, even if he is jerkish sometime.What also confuses me is the fact that I'm here, in the aprartment, with my mom.

"I don't know, mom, I'm just confused." I admitted . She gave me a motherly look and sighed.

It felt good to open up to her, my mother, the one person I knew I could always trust.

"Percy-" she began, but I interupted.

"He still doesnt even know me." I said .

"I know, I wish it wasnt true, I hope one day you guys could meet again." she said with a sad look on her face.