~ Chapter 46 ~

Y/n Jay Perspective

"Steve!" I burst through his hospital room door to see him and his nurse talking. They both look over at me and the nurse gives me a "What the hell" look.

"My bad," I awkwardly mumbled and heard Steve stifle a laugh.

"It's fine," he says, the strength in his voice returned to him over his stay at the hospital. They've kept him for about a week and today he called saying he was going to be released later.

He had his blue jeans on and a white tee. His hair was combed and he had a few band aids on his arms still. I could see a few patches on his abdomen bulging through the shirt.

The nurse finished her talk with Steve and left the room, leaving just the two of us. Man, this was a lot more nerve wracking than I thought. Steve glanced at me with a smile before sitting down on the hospital bed. He pat the side next to him.

"Oh," I sat next to him, leaving a bit of space between us. I heard him chuckle.

"What? Too scared to sit with me?" He teased and I instantly felt bad.

"No! I mean, yeah no. It's just that I'm kinda..." I fumbled on my words. Believe it or not, Rumlow was my first relationship. Didn't have time for that kinda stuff in school so he's the only experience I've had with any of this junk.

"Afraid?" Steve asked and I sighed.

"I'm not afraid of anything. Not anymore," I rolled my eyes. Steve wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"You're super tense.. oh god- I'm sorry," Steve let me go and started to apologize. "I didn't even take your situation into account. Is it okay if I hug you?"

Giggling at his concern I gently lay my head on his shoulder.

"Yeah, I'd like that actually." We sit in silence for a second, just enjoying each other's company.

"Steve," I start, "We're like, a thing now, right?"

"Only if you want us to be, y/n," he said in a gentle tone. I smiled and reached for his free hand, intertwining our fingers. Steve kissed the back of my hand, gave me a quick squeeze and then let me go.

"I've got to sign those release papers," he said getting off of the bed and grabbing his leather jacket. "And we've got a friend to mourn."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve and I meet up with Sam at Fury's grave. I still can't believe that S.H.I.E.L.D is gone. It all happened so fast and there are still things I need answers too. But before I'm able to think about any of that, a ghost walks up behind us.

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before, Captain," Fury said as he looked at his grave.

"You get used to it," Steve said. Fury gave us a look and saw our hands together. He huffed and continued.

"We've been data mining HYDRA's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship." Steve nods and tightens his grip on my hand. I can't help but feel there's something he's not telling me.

"I'm headed to Europe tonight," Fury says. "Wanted to ask if you'd come but, looks like your anchored here." Fury looks to me and I can't help but get emotional.

"Fury," I start but just stay silent. Fury has always been there. Even though he's a pain in my a---, he's been the father figure I wish I'd had. Seeing him go after all these years is tough. And I think he knows it because he walks over, smacks Steve's hand off me, and gives me a hug.