~ Chapter 32 ~

I kick down the door and assess the situation. Fury was on the ground and Steve was dragging him to the corner. There was a puddle of blood and a hard drive in Fury's hand. His clothes were also splattered with blood.

"Y/n!" Steve calls towards me and I put my gun back into its holster. I search for the Director's pulse and it's slowing down. I look at the bullet wounds through his heaving chest. He mutters something to us.

"Don't... trust anyone..." Fury gives the drive to Steve and looks at me. I grab a kitchen towel and start to push steadily on Fury's chest. Then the front door hits the wall.

"Captain Rogers!" Sharon enters the room as I put pressure on Fury's wound. I turn to her and she recognizes me. Confused, she hurries to the Directors side as I give orders.

"Kate?" Steve asks as I let Sharon take over pressing the wound. She takes out her communicator and starts to inform the others on the line what's happened.

"Agent 13 of S.H.E.I.L.D's special service. Sent to watch over you by Fury. Analyze the bullet holes in the wall and match them with any gun models." Sharon nods and looks at Steve. "Her name's Sharon by the way." I turn and see the figure hastily leaving the scene.

"Do we have a 20 on the shooter?" A voice rang from the communicator.

"Tell them we're in pursuit," Steve tells Sharon as he runs out of the room.

"Sharon, take care of him." She nods as I run out of the door after Steve and the culprit.

Coming out of the hall I hear shattering glass and see Steve smashing his way out. I groan and back up a bit to get a running start before hopping over the ledge and into the neighboring building's window. Steve had just gotten up after "cushioning" his fall with a wooden table.

He turns to me to make sure I'm okay and then we sprint down the hall. Above us was the figure running down grated floors. I kept my eyes forward as I run past vacant offices and empty rooms, avoiding desks and other obstacles.

Steve crashes right through glass walls and double doors, clearing a path for me behind him. Slowly I start to inch ahead of him, my speed surpassing the super soldier's. I jump off of the walls and roll under the desk in the room before getting back on my feet.

I swiftly turn the corner as Steve slams into it behind me. Running down the hall I spot the figure dropping down through the window. I take out my gun and shatter the glass with a bullet shot that narrowly misses their head.

I jump out of the window onto the rooftop and start to fire at the figure. They have some sort of metal reflecting the bullets. Steve rolls next to me and throws his shield towards the assassin.

Then using the same metal they were using to deflect the bullets, the figure catches Steve's shield with no effort. The perpetrator had a fully functional metal arm. They glared at us and I felt a shiver. Only their eyes were exposed, and they were shaded by the long mess of hair atop their head.

The metal creaks as they power up the arm and throw it back with an extreme force right at me.

"Y/n, duck!" Steve calls as the assassin makes their escape. I catch the shield and get pushed back a few inches.

When did I get so strong?

I rush to the side of the building and look over the edge in search of the metal armed man. All I am greeted with is an eerie feeling and the city lights. All of those homes unaware of the potential threat that just emerged into the light.

"Y/n!" Steve runs up to my side and looks me over. "Are you okay?"

I nod and give him his shield. He takes it but doesn't take his eyes off of me.

"C'mon, we need to regroup with Agent 13," I say, my voice barely above a whisper.

"How did you..." Steve pants and looks at me. I move my loose curls out of my face and look at my hands. There are small red lines on them from where I caught the shield. I watch as they slowly fade away.

"Agent Hill told me."

"Told you what?"

"Fury was attacked on his way back from that meeting with Pierce. He had suspicions that something is happening behind the surface."

"So S.H.I.E.L.D has been compromised..." I look at him, confused on how he knew.

"Fury told me." He says and puts his shield on his back. He motions me to come to the building's fire escape. He goes down the shaky ladder to the first platform that led to the stairs. He grabs my waist and helps me down.

When we get to the ground, there is an ambulance parked across from the apartment and a few emergency personnel carrying Fury on a strecher. Sharon was standing by.

"Agent 13." I walk up to her and my stern voice startles her. She straightens out her stance and looks at me, her eyes flickering to Steve for a second. "Have you informed the other officials, secret, and special Agents?"

"Yes ma'am. Special Agent Romanoff is meeting us at the hospital with Agent Hill. Fury is to undergo an emergency surgery to remove the bullets." Sharon speaks to me with respect and I nod. I dismiss her back to help clean up the crime scene and motion to Steve.

"Get in. I'm driving us to the hospital."

We get into my black SUV and I hit a button that reveals my emergency vehicle lights. I turn them on and trail the ambulance to the hospital. When we get in, Fury is taken straight to the emergency room and Natasha meets us at the door.

"I've only heard the glossed version. Tell me everything after the operation." She tells me and we half speed walk half jog to the operating room. I can't lose another close companion. Not after Phil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Preview~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How- how did you manage to catch my shield, pass me at top speed, and not have a single bruise on you?"

"I don't know what's happening either, Steve."

"Well you'd better find out. I have a feeling things are about to get ugly."