~ Chapter 30 ~

I've got to find her. Steve thought as he paced through the halls looking for y/n. Yesterday he'd spoken with Fury and knows that something must be wrong. Turning the corner, he bumped right into me.

"You've got to look where you're going, soldier," I laugh. Steve looks me over with soft eyes and apologizes. Then he gets to the point.

"I talked with Fury and it turns out, he's creating another weapon." I look at him confused. Then I remember Rule #4 and pull Steve into my office.

"Privacy walls." The windows automatically cover themselves and the audio and video recordings in the room stop. I turn to Steve, "Summarize what you saw. Was it Project Insight?"

"Yes, I think it was. Do you know about it?"

"All I know is that it's a defensive operation currently in the works," I bring my nail up to my chin. "What do you know about it?"

"That it's way more then what they've told you. Fury showed me the helicarriers involved and they are all heavily armed." Steve says in a serious tone.

"They're supposed to be attached to satellites and used to 'neutralize potential threats,' " Steve states, looking at me for guidance.

"Potential threats... not existing ones?" He shakes his head.

"Said he's doing it to keep everyone safe, but it's practically keeping them in constant fear." I look down at Steve. "In my opinion."

I bite my nail and think. This is a pretty big project with a bunch of grey areas...

"Okay," I start and walk towards the door, motioning him to follow. We leave my office and walk down the hall towards the S.H.I.E.L.D division.

"I had a vague idea of what the project was, but looks like someone has been keeping me entirely in the dark."

"Fury?"

"No... why would Fury inform me about highly dangerous information and Agent requests but not tell me about this?" I turn to Steve and he shrugs his shoulders.

"S'okay," I smile and keep moving. "It was a rhetorical question."

"Are you going to ask him about it yourself?"

"No." Steve looked at me shockingly. "I have a feeling that someone is trying to keep me in the dark as the head of the Avengers division." Steve stops in his tracks to think about my statement. When I'm about to turn the corner he catches up.

"You think someone is trying to bring down the Avengers by keeping you in the dark?"

"Don't know, since all of this just happened recently. I'm going to ask Fury to bring this to light in his meeting."

"Meeting? With who?"

"With Alexander Pierce. He told me about a few weeks in advance." Steve looked at me perplexed.

"Why would he tell you about the meeting but not the project-- oh." I smirk.

"Did it click? Someone's preventing his messages from reaching me, thus cutting off the information from getting to you or Nat." I stop in the middle of the hallway outside of the conference rooms. I turn to Steve and he's ready to take my orders.

"Now, I need--"

"Y/n, what are you doing here?"

My body immediately locks when I hear Rumlows voice. I turn to face him with Steve looking at him from behind me. Rumlow stares at Steve and then grabs my arm.

"Did you not remember what we talked about?" Rumlow hisses. "I've been looking everywhere to take you to lunch."

Nice cover, I thought, knowing he was talking about our rules. Rumlow ushers me away and Steve's brows furrow. He reaches out and gently holds my forearm.

"Agent Jay," Sensing something was wrong, Steve spoke professionally. "I still need to talk to you about the mission requests." He gently pulled me over to him. Rumlow tightened his grip on my other arm.

"I'm sure that can be solved over an email," Rumlow snarls.

"We were just on our way to get it situated--"

"And I'm sure it can wait." I whince as Rumlow squeezes harder and I can feel Steve get angry.

"Handling her a little rough, aren't you?"

"She's never complained about it before."

"She's obviously in pain, you can see it on her face."

"Why don't you mind your business, Rogers. I don't think this involves you. In fact, you've been involving yourself with her a lot lately."

"Is there a problem?"

"Yeah, there is."

"Really? Tell me about it."

"I'll show you."

"G--"

"Steve. It's okay." My voice causes them both to look at me. I rip my arms away from both of them and smile at Steve.

"I'll be sure to email you the proper requests next time around. Keep up the good work." I look to Rumlow and take his arm.

"Let's go, baby." Rumlow smiles and takes me back. Steve looks into my eyes and sees them clouded by a golden mist. Before he points it out to me, I turn around and walk with Rumlow.

"Sorry about that, Captain. No hard feelings, right?" Rumlow calls back to him, grinning. Steve doesn't find it funny.

"Sure, Rumlow."

As we walk away, I can feel Steve's eye following us. I put my free hand behind my back and get Steve's attention. He watches my hand sign S-O-R-R-Y and I hear him scoff in an amused way.

I continue to sign to him until we turn, telling him not to worry.

B-E. C-A-R-E-F-U-L.

Me and Rumlow drive to a nearby Zaxby's to eat and I can't shake the feeling that someone inside S.H.I.E.L.D is trying to keep me away from Steve and any useful info. And I think I'm having lunch with that someone right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Preview~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Agent 13 is where?"