~ Chapter 4 ~

Fury hands the Captain over to me as him and Agent Hill leave the room. Hill giving me a thumbs up before she leaves. I turn back to Rogers, his eyes following Fury through the windows. His eyes fall back on me when I grab my folder and pens from my bag.

"Well, Captain Rogers--"

"Oh please," he cuts me off and gives an awkward smile. "You can call me Steve. No need for formalities." I smile.

"Okay then, Steve. I have some things I'd like us to go over together." I open the folder and take out a few papers, curious eyes follow my every movement.

"Lead the way, Agent Jay."

"Oh please, call me Y/n." I earn a few chuckled with that remark. I organize the papers and begin to let Capt--  Steve in on my plans to get him used to modern day life.

I run him through my check list on things to do, research, and get used to. He listens intently to each and every detail, occasionally asking a question or two. What is that? How does this work? Could you write that down for me? What's the address again?

"Yes, I can. Actually," I pull out a rectangular box that sparks his interest. I open it to reveal a smart phone with a blue back screen and black case. I power it up and he watches as the screen lights up.

"This is a Smart Phone. It'll come in very handy. Not only can you contact people," I show him the screen and he leans in closer to see what I'm doing. I open the home page and show him some of the basic functions of the apps.

"Wow, that's pretty helpful." We are going over the internet and worldwide web. He looks at me with an astonished smile. "That would've been helpful."

"Yeah, I bet," I laugh. I go to his notes app. "And you can take digital notes here. Though, sticky notes and journals are pretty practical as well." I slide him a brown journal and a pencil. He thanks me.

"And in your contacts are all of the people you can call, message, video call. That is your number you give to others if you'd like to keep in contact with them, or if it's needed for insurance or paperwork." He nods along, now taking notes.

"I put Fury and my own number in your emergency contacts. If anything goes wrong, call one of us immediately. Fury most likely won't answer unless it's a big problem. However, seeing as a lot of this is new, you can call me whenever you need help, guidance, or just need to talk."

Our eyes meet. For a split second I don't want to look away. I'm staring. Shit.

"Um, I know this is a big change. I mean, it'll be difficult to get used to everything. So.." I hold my therapist's card between my fingers.

Rule #16 Don't over share.

Well, maybe I can bend this one a little. I hand him the card and he looks it over.

"That is my therapist's card. He's wonderful, recommend him to anyone I know that's struggling. I can assure you that if you let him know about your problems he will listen. If you aren't comfortable talking to me or Fury about your troubles, contact him." He doesn't take his eyes off of my as he listens. He twirls the card between his fingers.

"Thank you, I will definitely call him." He says. I can tell that he feels uncomfortable, like a student talking to a guidance counselor.

"I've also looked up a list of apartments for you to check out," I sigh and lean over my chair, cracking my back. "And a few motor vehicles for you to use, after you're license is renewed. S.H.E.I.L.D. will cover it all and supply you with a steady income. It will be cut off once your retirement funds are given for being a retired U.S. Soldier and Captain America. You'll be set for life."

I groaned in my chair and stood up. I looked down and grabbed my wallet.

"We've been sitting for way too long, feel like my legs are turning to jelly. Would you like to occumpany me on a short walk? Get some fresh air?"

"That would be amazing." I lead him outside of the building and down the streets. As we walk, Steve takes everything in. The blue skies with helicopters passing, the busy traffic ways and bustling sidewalks, and the large screens displaying Coca Cola and Ulta Beauty Ads.

"Steve," I call out to him. I motion him to follow me into the Cafe me and Hill visited a few weeks ago. He took in the sweet smells as I went up to the counter. He followed slowly, towering over me.

I ordered a few pastries to try and a milkshake. "What would you like?" I turned and asked him. Startled, he waved his hand.

"I'm okay. It might take me awhile to figure out what these new drinks are anyways," he chuckled.

"You sure?" He nods.

"I'll just sit over there and wait for you." He whispered an "Excuse me" as he made his way toward a booth in the corner.

A few minutes later I meet him at the table, carrying a few pastries and a drink carrier. He offered to carry one but I assured him that I had it. I slide a few of them in his direction, along with a black coffee and cream packets. He looked at me puzzled. I just smiled at him.

"These are some of my favorite pastries from here. Go on. Try some." He laughs and looks at the 3 pastries.

"I couldn't possibly--"

"Don't make me eat them all myself, now. I can do it, but my uniform might budget a bit," I chuckle and start to eat the cheese Danish. He covers half of his smile with his hand. I offer him a chocolate croissant and he smiles.

"Oh wow."

"I know, right. So good." We enjoy our pastries and he discusses the topics we covered, jotting them down and asking questions.

"Yeah, I'll send you all a copy of the lists and paperwork after you find an apartment from the options we have as of right now. We'll get you all covered."

He smiles. I think now is a good time to bring it up.

"Also, I hope you don't mind but I did some research.." Steve looks up at me. I slide him a few stapled papers.

"This is.."

"Peggy Carter. She's in a nursing home nearby. The location and visiting hours are listed on there." He looks up at me with a sense of longing and hope in his eyes. It tugs at my heart strings. He really is an old fashioned lover boy.

"This isn't known to S.H.E.I.L.D., it was done on my own time so don't worry about anything. In a few weeks time, you'll be freed to do as you wish."

He looks at me and grabs my hands. They look so petite in his big, calloused hands. This catches me off guard and our eyes meet.

"Thank you, so much for doing all of this for me. And I appreciate this more than you could imagine..." He speaks slowly and softly. I can tell he means it. I grasp his hands and give it a firm squeeze.

"Anytime, Cap."

His eyebrows perk up at the nickname, smiling after he processes it. I take my hands back and we finish our pastries. We head back to the office and finish his paperwork.

"Alright, Steve," I lead him outside of my office and hand him the copies of his files and information. "Agent Hill and Natasha Romanoff are going to help set up a bank account, renew your insurance, and find you an apartment and vehicle. And I will look around for the keepsakes you've mentioned."

"It's been a pleasure." We shake hands and send him off. Making sure he's gotten there safe I turn to go back into my office.

Dang. Did Fury see the ass on that man?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Preview~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Steve, I wanted to say thank you."

"What for?"

"You greatly impacted my life when you were still on the field."

"Really?"