Chapter 18:The Understandable Misunderstanding

Jackson asked, "Problem?", while me and my dad had no idea what was happening. Will said, "Well, we might have the cure, which we don't know if it 'can' cure or not, but we are kind of......surrounded", and I asked, "Surrounded? By whom?".

He replied, "By zombies, JC. They might have come here when we were waiting for the cure to get ready by sensing our scent".

My dad said, "Shit! We have to test this now. Just if anything happens, I just want you to know, I love you, honey pie. Forever", before injecting the cure into him.

As he dropped the syringe down, he dropped onto his knees, shaking real hard and shouting loud in pain. He kept slamming the floor before he fell unconscious. Suddenly, he got up, started growling like a zombie. He turned around and opened his mouth like he was ready to bite a guy. Will lifted his gun but I lowered it. To our surprise, he laughed and said, "I guess I got you guys. It works! Yesss!!! Now let's mix your blood with the cure", as he took the cure-filled test tubes and the syringe, mixing a drop of it in all of it, saying, "Didn't you say we were surrounded? Those things ain't gonna stand a chance. Give me a gun and let's get going".

Getting some guns, a baseball bat which was in the lab, along with the survival knife he had, he got to the door with us. He said, "I maybe a little out of form but it's all coming back to me slowly", as he locked his gun.

He continued, "Yup, it's coming back. Honey pie, call the others here. Go".

After I left, he asked Jackson, "So, you love my daughter?", and Jackson asked, "What do you mean by 'love her' huh?".

My dad said, "Of course you do, unless you won't be calling her 'Jewel' like that", and he replied, "No! I call her that because she's an inspiration for me. She grew up alone ten years without her father, with nothing but hard work and training".

My dad smiled and said, "Yeah, you are in love with her. I used to call my girlfriend and wife as inspiration for me and I loved them when I said it to them for the first time".

Jackson said, "Seriously, man! Not funny. It's not what's happening", and he said, "Denying it. Definitely that is what's happening with you".

Jackson shouted, "Definitely not happening!", and left. Will, who had no idea why they were talking like that, asked, "What the hell was all that, Mr. Carter?", and my father replied, "You won't understand even if I told you".

After telling everyone to go, I was looking at my father's locket and Jackson came in looking tense. I, having no idea about their conversation, asked, "What's wrong, Jackson?", and he replied, "He thinks that I 'love' you", and I asked again, "Who?".

He said, "Your dad!", and I said, "I guess he misunderstood".

He continued, "He probably did", and I replied, "Yeah. Or...........not".

He got shocked and asked, "Do.....you know?", and I said, "Yes. I do. I did from the beginning".

He said, "Fine. I love you. So, do you?", and I said, "It's not the proposal I was expecting for".

He continued, "What do you expect? We are surrounded by hundreds of zombies and we literally have no idea of our own survival. I've got no better chance than this".

I said, "I thought you loved Rebecca. Yet, Will has an eye on her and tries to tell her everytime he met her. But he gets frightened like a mouse at the claws of a cat when he sees her".

He said, "Rebecca? She's like a sister to me. Actually, she knew before anyone else and volunteered in helping me impress you. So it's impossible for you to know from the beginning".

I said, "Okay. So 143", and he said, "Seriously, 143? Why are you starting code numbers now? Wait, doesn't that mean 'I love you'? So, you do, don't you?".

I nodded and he started shouting, "Yes! Yes! Yes!", and I silenced him with a kiss.

He continued, "That could be done often", and I said, "No".

He said, "Okay, I have no other way. Yes! Yes! Yes!!!", and I shut his mouth, saying, "Shut up! Do you want my dad to get here? You don't want to know what would happen if he gets here?".

"Well, I'm here and nothing happened", a voice said.

It was my dad! We jumped in fear and I said, "Dad!", while Jackson said, "Mr.Carter", and smiled, continuing, "Uhh, when did you come?".

My father replied, "I got here when you were just saying 'Fine, I love you. So, do you?' and my daughter was answering".

Jackson started to laugh in fake after hearing it. My father continued, "You should probably wipe off my daughter's blood off your lips. So, should you, honey pie", and we wiped off the blood from our lips which came when we kissed.

He kept going, "Just saying, while you were doing romances, I just found a way to get the cure around the globe, so come on", and as he turned around, he said, "My baby girl's all grown up", smiling, while he walked out.

As we came out, Jackson said, "Well, he smiled. Is that a yes?", and I said, "Maybe".

He ran to my father, shouting, "Mr.Carter, wait!", and I ran behind him.

Once he reached my dad, he asked, "Just asking, how did you find that I loved your daughter?", and he replied, "It's really simple, Jackson, if you just look at the easiest clues. First, you came here without letting my daughter knowing it. Then you lowered your gun once she told you to. You call her with a nickname, like I used to call my wife 'Joule' and girlfriend 'birdie'. So, sneaking on your girlfriend, obeying her command, and calling her with a pet name. That's how I found it".

Jackson said, "That is 'easiest' clues, man. Those are the toughest stuff to figure out".

My dad, "It's easy if you have experience like me. Okay, nice chat, let's go!".