Chapter 30

"The Anuk-ite," I read on about it and looked at Scott and the others. "Well, this is terrifying. It says once they merge, all they need to do to kill you is get you to look at them."

    "Yeah. About that . . . they kind of already merged." Malia said.

    "What?" I asked.

    "Yeah. I tried to stop them, but I couldn't." Liam replied.

    "Well, this is going to be fun. We're going in blind. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to make a call from an expert."

    "Who?" Scott asked.

    "Deucalian. He can help us." I replied and got off the couch, calling him.

    "Hello, Elizabeth. What makes you call me?"

    "We need your help."

    "With?"

    "Fighting blindly. Seeing without sight." I replied.

    ". . . it merged. Didn't it?"

    I sighed. "It did. Which is why we need the help."

    ". . . okay." he agreed and hung up.

———

"There's a crucial difference to teaching you how to fight blind." Deucalion told me, Scott, and Malia.

    "We're not really blind." Scott said.

    "What does that matter?" Malia asked.

    "Close your eyes." I told her.

    She looked at me before closing her eyes.

    I clapped my hands near her ear once and her eyes immediately shot open.

    "That's why." Deucalion said with a slight smile at me. "You've done your homework, I see."

    "I had a few hours to kill." I shrugged, putting my hands in my pockets.

    He nodded and took out three blindfolds. "We will start with echolocation."

    "Sound," Scott said.

    "And also thermoception."

    "Heat." Malia answered quickly.

    "Equilibroception."

    "Balance," Scott said when Malia was struggling with it.

    "And proprioception."

    "Pressure." I said.

    He nodded. "Blindfolds on."

    We all put our blindfolds on and were absorbed in darkness.

    "Normal humans use echolocation by creating sounds, like clicking the tongue against the roof of the mouth. But you have superior hearing. Use it. Listen to the sound of the vibrations and find me." Deucalion said, a sharp clanging noise sounding somewhere in front of us.

    "Find me," he said, his echo fading away.

    We followed with our arms out, feeling our way around the shopping containers when I heard a thud.

    "I'm not feeling very superior right now." Malia's voice said, annoyed.

    A hint of a smile passed my face and we walked further until a cane hit us in the back, sending us falling to the ground.

    We took off our blindfolds and looked at the older werewolf.

    "How dead are we now?" Malia asked.