Chapter 12

I turned the corner with Mason and Corey, seeing Brett finished up talking with a news reporter about tonight's game.

    He saw me and smiled, waving slightly and moving out of the way of the people as they moved their equipment back in the vans.

    "Hey, Elizabeth." He said, "Coming to tonight's game?"

    "Why wouldn't I? My brother is on the team." I replied.

    "Right. Right. Yeah. Say hi to Scott and the others for me. And see you at the charity game." He said, lightly touching my arm before jogging away.

I watched as he went, then turned back to the two boys, shrugging and continuing our walk to the lacrosse field.

"So because the Beast is attracted to high frequencies, I can see if my dad can cancel the game." I offered.

"Really? What's the chance that might work?" Corey asked.

"Very slim, at best." I answered, "but it can't hurt in trying."

"Speaking of trying. You should give Theo a chance." Corey said to me.

"What?" I looked at him.

"He's still broken up about what happened to you. And he's trying his best to be better for you, but you choose not to see it. Why?"

"Like I told Theo almost a year ago, the only person you can really trust to not let you down is yourself." I told him.

"That was intense," Mason said.

———

"Lori, how's it going?" I asked over the phone as I searched the Devenforth bus with Corey and Mason, handing Corey another bag of someone's shoes for him to check.

"Nothing so far. How about you guys? And luck?" She asked.

"No such luck. Keep in touch, okay?"

"Yeah. You too." She answered and hung up on her side of the call.

I put my phone back in my pocket and took the bag back from Corey when he handed it back to me, putting it back in the compartment.

Mason heaved a sigh and looked at us. "That's everyone. No one has the shoe."

"Darn it." I mumbled, looking around to see if there were any missed compartments, then heard faint footsteps with my enhanced hearing. "Guys, someone coming."

Corey grabbed onto Mason and my wrists, turning us all invisible as a Devenforth Prep student walked onto the bus, looked around before grabbing something from his compartment and exiting the bus.

We turned visible again and Corey and Mason looked at each other. Much in the way I looked at Isaac before. And how I sometimes—most of the time—look at Theo.

"Don't start making out in a bus. At least not when I'm around." I said, taking my wrist out of Corey's hand and walking off the bus.

Faint cheers could be heard from the lacrosse field and I took one last glance back at the bus before running over to catch the second half of the game.

I walked over to where Brett was by his own teammates, which surprised him and the rest of the teammates, but some others whistled because they knew about our history together.

"Shut up, guys." Brett said with a faint chuckle. "What's up, Elizabeth?"

"Just came to tell you that our part was a bust. Please tell me you have some good news."

"Kira is acting strange, but other than that, no other things to report. I'm doing my job the best I can, but you guys suck at this game."

I laughed. "I'm aware of that, yes. Which is why I never joined."

Brett looked past me and told me to turn around, where I saw Hayden talking to Liam.

"What do you think they're talking about?" I asked him.

"Probably some couple stuff."

I listened in on their conversation as Brett did the same.

"I want to be with you, Liam. I know that." Hayden said.

"That is sickeningly adorable." I said to Brett, making him chuckle.

    The whistle blew for the second half of the game to start, snapping us back to reality.

    "Wish me luck," Brett said and without thinking, kissed my cheek; his eyes going wide once he realized. "Oh my gosh. I am so sorry, Elizabeth."

    I smiled ans shook my head. "It's fine, Brett. I'm not dating anyone, you're not dating anyone. It's totally fine."

    "You sure?"

    "I'm sure. Now go play the game. I'll be watching from the bleachers." I told him and headed up the bleachers to sit at the bottom nearest to our team's bench.

    "Psst! Elizabeth!" Stiles hissed from behind me in between the gaps in the bleachers.

    I turned around. "What are you doing?"

    "I'm looking for the bloody sole." He answered.

    "Okays have fun with that." I said and turned back around to watch the game.

    Pretty soon, I heard a clang! from behind me and turned back around to see Stiles holding his forehead and looking all dizzy, stumbling over his own feet and holding onto my arm to keep from falling.

    "Ow," he said, rubbing his forehead while I suppressed a giggle.

    A loud growl was heard behind the bus in the parking lot, catching Liam's attention and making his eyes flash yellow.

    "Let's stop him before he does something stupid." I said, getting up and dragging my brother over to the entrance of the field, where Liam ran past us despite our protests.

    "He's going to get hurt, isn't he?" I asked.

    "Alone, most definitely."

    "That's all I needed to hear." I shifted and let out a roar, making Liam turn around and smile when he saw I was going to do.

    Together, we ran at the Beast and leapt through the air near the school bus, raking our claws down the Beast's massive chest as he roared, slicing his claws across our chests and sending us flying onto the cement.

    "Elizabeth! It's going into the school!" Liam groaned, slowly standing up and helping me up as we ran into the dark school hallways, the chemo-signals reeking of fear.

    "Liam! Elizabeth!" Lori grabbed our arms and dragged us into an empty classroom with Scott and Kira.

    "Did you two seriously think you could take that thing?" Scott asked when he saw the claw marks gashing across our chests, black smoke rising from them slowly.

    "No," I said, taking out a small vial of black blood: the Beast's blood. "But I got it's blood."

    Lori looked confused. "What's that supposed to do?"

    I looked at her and set the vile down. "Before I was a werewolf, I was a practicing witch. Now, I don't have any magic in me anymore, but I learned a few things from Deaton."

    "Like what?" Kira asked.

    I looked at her. "Like how to weaken it."

🐺🐺🐺