Chapter 10

I sat in the waiting room of the hospital as we waited for news on our father. Stiles looked at me and placed a hand on my knee to calm me. Even now, I could tell my heartbeat was rising from anger because of Theo.

    I fished out my phone and leaned my elbows on my knees, leaning forward and pressing on the contacts, scrolling through and stopping on Theo's contact, just looking at it.

    I took it a shaky breath and bit my bottom lip lightly, wiping away a tear before Stiles could see, and handed my phone to my brother.

    "Delete it. Please. I don't know if I can do it." I said.

     Stiles took the phone from me silently and looked at me for confirmation, then deleted Theo's number from my contacts when I gave him the okay.

    I took my phone back from him with a "thank you" before putting it back in my pocket and looking down at the tiled floor, focusing in on what was happening in surgery.

   "Is he going to be okay?" Stiles asked me after he realized what I was doing.

    ". . . I think he's going to be okay." I answered just as Melissa walked over to us to inform us.

    "Dr. Geyer is stitching him up now." Melissa told us.

    "Can we see him?" I asked.

    "The anesthesia needs to wear off. It will be at least two hours." She said, putting a hand on Stiles's shoulder when he started to get up.

    "But he's alright, right? I mean, he's okay?" Stiles asked her.

    She nodded, "He's going to be just fine."

———

"What do you mean you don't know? Two hours ago he was just fine! Now it looks like someone took a baseball bat to his neck." Stiles said to the doctors.

    "There could have been some minor internal." Dr. Geyer said.

    "Did you just say "minor internal?" When is anything internal minor?" Stiles argued back.

    "Stiles," I put a hand on his shoulder to calm him, but he shrugged my hand off.

    "I need to see him. Dr. Geyer, someone needs to tell us what is happening. Somebody needs to tell us what is happening to him!" Stiles shouted.

    Melissa sighed, "We don't know."

    "Oh no. Stiles, don't do it." I said once I noticed Scott standing by where our father's room was.

    Stiles followed my gaze and walked out to se his friend, but unlike what I thought he was going to do, he body slammed his best friend to the ground.

    "Stiles! Get off him!" I ran out with the doctors and we broke up the two fighting boys.

    "Your dad's not the only one that got hurt." Scott said to him.

    "Oh, you'll heal." Stiles said back.

    Scott looked down at his shirt, pulling his jacket closer. "I'm not talking about me."

    I looked at my brother and he immediately knew who Scott was talking about, because his angry face turned into worry and fear for the person he loved most in this world besides his family: Lydia.

    Scott led the way upstairs to where Lydia laid in a hospital bed unblinking as her mother stroked back her hair, speaking softly to her.

    "Stiles. Go see her." I said quietly, squeezing his arm lightly as I looked at my best friend lying in the hospital bed.