Chapter 7

I stood next to Scott in the clinic, across from Theo and Stiles as we looked down at the body of another dead Chimera.

Stiles drew back the cover to show the head and sighed.

Theo looked at Scott. "You knew him?"

"His name was Josh. He was a Junior." Scott answered.

I covered my mouth with a hand and shook my head. "I knew him . . ."

Theo glanced at me sadly before looking back at Scott.

"Which one did it? The one with the cane?" Scott asked.

My hand went to the back of my head, remembering where the Doctor hit me over the head.

Apparently, Theo also remembered because he was looking at me.

"Yeah," he said after a while.

"So what are we supposed to do? It's not like we can just set an alarm and leave him here. That's how Tracy disappeared."
Stiles said to all of us, "someone's got to stay here and look after him."

Theo sighed. "I'll do it. It's not like I had a big Saturday night planned."

Despite my trust issues with him, I didn't want him to be alone when Parrish came to pick up Josh, and Stiles would most likely kill him.

"I'll stay also." I volunteered.

Theo and the others looked at me in surprise that I would volunteer.

"It's fine. I'll stay here." I repeated.

———

I sat on the counter as I watched Theo look at the body, then he glanced at me when a familiar chittering sound was heard.

"Great. Want me to leave you to your evil plans?" I asked in boredom.

"Just stay here." He said and walked to the front of the clinic.

"Checking up on me? Look, I know you want to know who's taking the bodies."

The Dread Doctor spoke. "Inconsequential."

"Why? You don't care that someone is running off with your little failed science experiments?" Theo scoffed, "you already know who's taking them. Did you forget you were supposed to keep me in the loop on everything? Including the time you brought Elizabeth to you lab without my knowledge?"

"Inconsequential,"

"Not to me!" Theo argued, "you could have killed her!"

"A small price to pay." It said.

"No! Don't play it off like she's not worth anything. She's worth everything to me." Theo looked my way, then back to where the Dread Doctor was, but found it gone.

I hopped down off the counter and walked into the front, standing next to Theo and making him turn to look at me.

"Did you really mean that?" I asked.

His hazel eyes softened. "Every word,"

    A car approached and we both turned around to see my brother running in, looking at our close proximity.

    "Back it up, Theo." Stiles said.

    Theo glanced at me once more and gave me a sky wink before heading over to where Stiles was.

    "What is it?" He asked.

    "Whoever is taking the bodies won't come here when one of you guys are standing guard. So, I have an idea." Stiles held up his phone, "we record it and you two wait in Theo's car."

    "Sounds like it could work." I said as I walked to the two boys.

    "Yeah, but just keep your hands to yourselves." He said and set up his phone on a shelf, angling it to get a perfect angle of the dead Chimera.

    "Won't be a problem," I said, not sure if that was a lie or truth.

    All three of us walked outside and parted ways: Stiles to his Jeep and Theo and I to his car, getting in and hanging a screen connected to my brother's phone up on the mirror.

    We sat in there in awkward silence before Theo broke it.

    "You want to take shifts watching?" He asked.

    "No. I want to spend some quality time with you." I replied.

    He smiled. "I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. But sounds good to me."

    We fell into another lapse of silence before I finally asked a question.

    "Why haven't you told Scott about what Stiles did?"

    "You probably think I have some ulterior motive."

    "I know you have an ulterior motive." I corrected.

    He sighed. "Would you believe me if I said that all I want. All I ever wanted is for you guys to trust me?"

    I looked at him and sighed. "I trust you sometimes. But it's hard when the person you're starting to fall for has an evil side."

    He looked slightly shocked and reached over, taking my hand. "Did you mean to say that?"

    I looked down at our hands sitting on the middle console, his thumb running over my knuckles.

    ". . . . I think so,"

    He smiled a little and then looked around. "Do you smell that?"

    "I do. It smells like . . . smoke." I looked at him and saw a flaming fist punch through the window and snap Theo's head to the side, spraying me with blood. "Theo!"

    He fell out of the car as the door flew open and I screamed as the car flipped over, falling on the top and slamming me against the roof of the car, my head snapping back and banging against the hard concrete, making me fall unconscious.

The sound of a fire extinguisher went off and I opened my eyes weakly, coughing from the smoke.

Theo wrapped his arms around my shoulders and dragged me out of the wreckage, falling back on the gravel and pulling me into his arms as I got air back in my airway.

    He rested his forehead in my hair and held me close to him. "I'm so sorry for getting you into this mess, Elizabeth."

    I jus took in another breath and leaned my head back against his chest, too tired to do anything else.

Just a cute death-defying chapter❤️❤️

🐺🐺🐺