Chapter 29

I got out of my car and looked around so see if anyone followed me, and no one did. It was early in the morning, so no one should be up.

I walked up to the Anomal Clinic and lightly rapped on the door, having it open a moment later.

Scott looked at me with a surprised face. "Hey, Elizabeth. What are you doing here on a Saturday morning? Isn't your dad going to be wondering where you are?"

"My dad is still asleep. I brought you guys some coffee to wake you all up." I said, holding up the tray of cups with a smile.

"Have I told you lately how much I love you?" Scott said, letting me into the clinic.

"Hey now, no flirting with my girl." Theo said with a smile, walking into the main entryway and hugged me.

"Hey, Theo. New haircut?" I asked when I saw his hair all floppy and adorable.

Like a baby puppy.

He smiled and tousled his hair. "It's growing on me."

"Oh my gosh. Did you make a dad joke? Guys! Theo made a dad joke!" Scott yelled as the others ran into the room upon hearing it.

"Theo made a dad joke? Seriously?" Corey asked.

I smiled and looked down at my watch, setting the cups down and sighing.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" Theo asked me gently, placing a hand on my back.

"It's just this stupid thing my dad is making me take. He's making me take a self-defense class." I said.

"Well, that doesn't sound so bad—" Theo started.

"With Monroe." I finished.

"I take that back." Theo finished with a frown.

"Yeah. I'm supposed to go in today, but I'm thinking of skipping. I just want to stay here with you guys." I said to everyone.

"Lizzie, as much as I would love for you to stay here, you need to go to Monroe's. Maybe you could learn something." Scott told me.

"That's doubtful." I said,

"Hey, there's always other days. If you don't want to go today, just hang out with us. Get your mind off everything." Liam said.

"That sounds really nice, but there is no such thing as 'just hanging out' with this pack. We always end up in the middle of some sort of mess." I said.

Scott laughed. "That is very true."

I looked down at my watch again. "As much as I would love to stay here, my dad would lose his mind if he knew I skipped."

"Ah. Gotcha. See you later?" Scott asked, hugging me.

"Definitely. Bye, guys." I hugged all of my friends. "Drink your coffee. I paid almost $20 dollars for the drinks. Liam, I got you milk."

    "Okay, mom." Liam stuck his tongue out at me as he reached for his cup with a baby wolf drawn onto the side with little hearts.

    "Not for a while, kiddo." I replied and walked out of the clinic.

———

I bit my lip and looked away as Ethan was being zapped with enough electricity that ran through a live wire.

"Elizabeth, it's alright. Look." Sydney gently put her hand on my arm and we looked at Ethan as Monroe gave an obnoxious speech that made me want to punch her in the face multiple times.