Chapter 6

3 missed calls from Theo.

25 unread texts.

Lydia came into her room again with a bowl of chocolate ice cream, handing me the bowl and sitting next to me.

    "I'm sorry about Theo, Elizabeth. Breakups can be hard."

    "We didn't break up. We were never dating to begin with. I just never thought he would turn out bad. He was such a nice guy to me." I said, sighing and taking another spoonful of ice cream. "I guess I should have seen this happen. Always listen to your sibling about would-be relationships."

    "But Isaac wasn't a bad guy." She pointed out, her hand on my back.

    "He dumped me on our two-year anniversary. That was pretty crappy of him to do." I replied.

    ". . . don't give up on Theo, okay? He may turn around."

    "He made his choice to join the bad guys. From now on, I'm only trusting the pack. Even if it comes down to him and I, I'm not choosing him again." I said, setting the bowl on the table by her bedside.

———

I sat on the bleachers with Brett and Mason as he talked to Brett about if he has seen any potential Chimeras.

    "I don't know, man. Everyone at Devenforth is pretty abnormal to me." Brett answered.

    "Okay. What's there to look for? There's heightened speed, strength." Mason listed off.

    "Smell and hearing." I added.

    "Uh, able to see in the dark." Brett said.

    "Glowing eyes," I said.

    Brett nodded. "Eyes that reflect the light."

    "Visible stingers protruding out of limbs?" Mason asked.

    "Yeah, or three foot tall lizards." Brett and I added in unison, then looked at each other in surprise.

    I tore my gaze away from him and focused on Liam as he threw the lacrosse ball with force, smacking into the goalie.

    "Woah. What's up with those two?" I asked, making Brett nod in curiosity.

    "Sixth grade. Not the best time for Liam's anger issues." Mason replied, pulling up a photo on his phone and showing us their yearbook photos.

    "Ow," Brett chuckled.

    A man ran out onto the field. "Does anyone here have asthma?! Does anyone have an inhaler?"

    "Scott," all of us said in unison, running down the bleachers and with Liam as all of us ran into the school.

    Liam grabbed an inhaler from Scott's locker and ran into the class where he was, kneeling in front of the Alpha.

    "Scott. Scott, come on." Liam said to him, then looked at me and back at Scott, his eyes flashing yellow as he called Scott's name again.

    Scott snapped out of his trance and used the inhaler, looking at his Beta. "Thanks,"

    I smiled at the two and was surprised when I felt Brett's hand on my shoulder.

    I looked at him. "Uh . . . Brett?"

    "Hmm?" He looked at me, then realized and took his hand off. "Oh. Sorry,"

    "It's fine. Just . . . a little warning next time."

    "Got it."

    Malia ran up behind me and took my arm, dragging me down the hallway and to the workout room.