Impending Question

Paper was like people

Paper was like people. A single tear left a permanent mark on the paper, just like a person. Something so small, a little slip up could be on that plain sheet forever. Our mistakes or tears would forever be ingrained in our skin even if we pretended it did not affect us. It's just the way the cookie crumbled.

My fingernail buds grew smaller as I nibbled on them while waiting for Ambrose. I wasn't sure if leaving Ambrose alone with his mother was the right call. She never physically harmed him, but that didn't make her any better than his father. His mom deserved to feel every ounce of guilty for staying by her husband's side instead of standing up for her son.

I wanted to run from the sanctuary of his room and listen in on the conversation. Anything to know that he's doing okay. The only thing holding me back was the fact that I probably smelled like sex. My phone vibrated on his bed table, and a spurge of relief emerged in my chest as Ambrose's contact popped up.

Don't worry, babe. Everything is going fine. I'll be in your arms in minutes. Where I belong ;).

An anxious gust of air departed from my lungs as I reread the message over and over with a huge grin. Ambrose really had me falling head over heels for him. It's fucking insane how fast it's happening. Skipping happily off the bed, I scanned his closet for a comfy shirt to lounge in. My arms slipped through the sleeves of a plain black-tee shirt, reaching down to my knees.

I jumped back into the bed, slamming my face into the comforter, missing Ambrose more every second that ticked by. Boredom crept on my skin like shivers as I glanced around the empty room with not even a TV to keep company. A brown crate by Ambrose's shoes caught my attention, so I did the smartest thing I could think of; I opened it.

All of our gifts from Valentine's day lie there; safe and sound. Everything from our friendly 'dates' remained in this box like a reminder of how important these moments were for each other. Maybe for different reasons, but they were significant nonetheless. To be honest, after the shameful, awkward kiss that night, I forgot about the gifts we exchanged until his very moment.

The light reflected on the brilliant pink hue so vivid it was almost impossible to ignore. It was a bracelet with three charms; a nurse hat, a pink emboldened heart, and lastly rosy-colored letter A. There was only one person who I could think of that was studying to be a nurse; Lana. Was this a sign if he kept these things?

That he still hoped for her to change her mind? Communication is key. All I had to do was have a conversation about how he felt for Lana, but I'm an idiot. I feared the unknown, the way our relationship could remain in harmony in this little bubble. I wanted to enjoy this bubble of joy just a bit longer...

The bracelet slipped from my fingers as the door cracked opening, abruptly slicing the silence in half. Ambrose struggled with the door while stumbling in with three plates stacked on his wrist and a soda litter under his armpit. From the outside perspective, he looked okay.